Honeycrisp vs Red Delicious - "how we finally got good apples"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/30/honeycrisp-vs-red-delicious.html

3 Likes

The combo of fairy-tale storybook + requiem for a dream was… oddly compelling?

3 Likes

My dad’s favorite hand apple is still red delicious. It must suck being wrong like that all the time.

16 Likes

I’m eating an apple right now.

15 Likes

And. . . how do you like them apples?

18 Likes

Delicious! I’ll have you know.

12 Likes

I am all a gala of envy.

11 Likes

I’m pretty done with foodie shit, but goddamn people really had no damn taste back then. Even thinking about red “delicious” makes my mouth dry out.

12 Likes

Honeycrisps are okay, but by far the best apple is Jazz (a cross between Royal Gala and Braeburn, both good apples on their own, but the mixture is amazing).

8 Likes

Honeycrisp (Honeycrisps?) are sweet but don’t actually have much flavor. They’re like a sugar cube in the shape of an apple. I’ll stick with Braeburn and Macoun.

8 Likes

Honeycrisps have a nasty habit of rotting from within. I’ve bought them for years, and a perfectly good looking apple on the outside will be riddled with bruised rot inside. The guy at the farmer’s market told me that it has something to do with improper storage.

6 Likes

In the 1950s we got boxes of Red Delicious - Xmas gift from business clients - that were actually delicious, better than in the grocery, nothing like the tasteless ones you get today. I’d like an explanation for that. (Don’t say it’s my memory.)

9 Likes

The bland ones may not have been the same apple, but a sport of the original going under the same name.

In 1977, the application for #4159 noted the “starchy and bland taste of some of the newer varieties”.

8 Likes

Different apples for different cravings. But overall the best extant is a Fuji; and i live in Washington state so uhm… my apple opinion counts for more. (see, it’s like the @#$! electoral college only for apples)

as an aside, why in the intro image is that bad man torturing an innocent apple with …vegemite!? [b-movie scream]

10 Likes

I am really liking Envy apples these days. Dammit, now I’m going to have to eat an apple.

2 Likes

Ah, I do so remember, not quite without fondness, the TV Dinner. They still sort of exist.

4 Likes

Explanation: Australia. Probably be marmite in jolly old England.

5 Likes

Honestly, I like vegemite better. Marmite isn’t as strongly beefy.

7 Likes

I am an Ambrosia, Spizten(berg?), and Pinova gal, meself, although I will cotton to a Gala or even a Fuji if they are what’s available.

My all time favs are Cox’s Orange Pippin, though… for the nanosecond which they are in season.

7 Likes

My god…Marmite on apples…

My life may be forever changed.

Fie. I think kangarooy is the adjective you’re looking for.

9 Likes