Honeycrisp vs Red Delicious - "how we finally got good apples"

More like, kanga-groovy

9 Likes

I saw what you did there, before.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s somehow even more tiresome than the dad joke

6 Likes

It used to be you could only get good Delicious apples in September and October. Now I’ve had months of good Delicious since January. I swear one of them a couple of days ago tasted like watermelon, and they’ve also been cheap.

1 Like

I like Vegemite, and I like apples, but I don’t think putting Vegemite on apples is a good idea at all.

6 Likes

big love for Pink Ladys.

10 Likes

No matter which apple variety is popular supermarkets will find a way to breed an apple which looks the same and has the same name but is optimized for looks/shelflife/transportability instead of taste. If they happen to taste good that’s a happy coincidence.

The cycle is as follows:

• apple becomes popular because it tastes (and probably looks ) good.
  • supermarkets start to pick up on it.
  • supermarkets optimize said variety for looks/storage/cost
  • apple’s taste goes down the drain over time.
  • next please.

btw this same principle applies to all produce. It’s just the flip side of the convenience of supermarkets.

14 Likes

Of the newer apples, my favorite by far is the opal apple. One of my favorite old varieties that I haven’t seen mentioned yet is the Stayman winesap.

3 Likes

“Jazz Apples” always sounds like a euphemism for testicles to me; “She turned around and kneed me right in the Jazz Apples”.

31 Likes

1.5 oz. Gin, 1 Egg White, and 4 dashes Grenadine?

@dontpanicbobby Yeah, one should never compare apples and potatoes.

Personnally, if it isn’t one of Idun’s Golden Apples, I’m not really all that fussed; though a good, tart Eris can really hit the spot after a feast.

1 Like

Bingo.

The red delicious we have now isn’t the original one.

11 Likes

My favourite apple is the Reineta for salads and cooking (the sweet-and-sour taste is amazing, despite looking more like a potato than a fruit), and the Verdialona for eating. Unfortunately the latter is more and more difficult to find, being replaced by the Fuji here, that looks more like someone expects of an apple when sees one…

2 Likes

We’ve discussed this topic before @frauenfelder red delicious apples are bad in your opinion. Don’t post it like it’s some data driven fact.

Red delicious are my favorite as well as the favorite of my youngest son. Just because you don’t like them doesn’t me everyone who does is wrong. Taste is always and will always be subjective.

4 Likes

Which, I suppose, is the purpose of trademarking the variety: Even if the variety is out of patent and anyone can grow them without licensing fees, the name won’t be diluted by mediocre hangers-on.

3 Likes

Agree. In the 60s my Mom shopped for RD apples at a local orchard. They were fantastic and perfect when you got one with crescent moon shaped translucent arc near the center. Sweet and crisp. There was an NPR show years ago about how modern breeding ruined the RD apple. Now prefer fresh Envy apples.

10 Likes

:wink:

12 Likes

The corollary being that the varieties you enjoy now will similarly degrade.

They’re all clones too - it’s going to happen.

2 Likes

I’m gonna be the weirdo here. I love Braeburns, but my favorite eating apple is Granny Smith. Love me some tart eatin’!

14 Likes

Aaaaah, is it time for the Other Apple Argument Thread again already? Well, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: RUSSETS. All y’all are wrong.

6 Likes

I admit that every once in a great while, a Hungry-Man TV Dinner, with its sort-of-crisp chicken, volcanic mashed potatoes, surprisingly good corn, and weird brick of a brownie, is a fun bit of nostalgia that comes with about two billion mg of sodium.

7 Likes