What is this mystery object that washed up on a South Carolina beach?

Maybe Key West is missing the mile 0 marker:

mile-marker-0-key-west

4 Likes

Roger That!

2 Likes

Looks like a Dagon egg. I’d steer clear of the area for the next couple thousand years

9 Likes

Nazi vampire tomb. Looks like it didn’t work.

1 Like

Clearly, that’s the new Doctor standing to the right of it, so … alien spacecraft?

3 Likes

How to fish with a Godzilla bobber.

6 Likes

Swamp gas. move along, please.

5 Likes

EXACTLY what I was thinking. We used to sneak in to the Fox lot, and throw around giant boulders that were made of foam/ Styrofoam (early 70s).

3 Likes

No other object as been misidentified as a flying saucer more often than the planet Venus

1 Like

It bothers me you can clearly move more northerly than that marker is. (Unless it’s referring to land under it.)

4 Likes

Are you suggesting that this object is, in fact, the planet Venus? :grin:

8 Likes

Well, it isn’t Uranus!

14 Likes

The shuttle ext tank insulation was only ~1 inch thick.

The object’s “insulation” looks pretty hefty.

2 Likes

The prophecy was right.
It has begun.

8 Likes

Find the owner of this special plug, and you’ll find a purchaser of one of those 55 gallon drums of lube from Amazon.

6 Likes

One of the hot tubs fell off my yacht. I didn’t report it, cause, you know… littering.

3 Likes

It is a marine donut fender, of the type found protecting piers and jetties in harbors and dock areas for very large ships. Each one costs several thousands of dollars when new. The foam bumper can be damaged (such as the one in the photo) and broken if a ship bumps into it with enough force. When there is an extreme high water, such as a hurricane storm surge, a damaged donut fender would probably float right off the pole and out into the currents. From there it would eventually wash up on some beach.

The donut fender is designed to simply slip over a stationary monopile (a pole that is driven into the harbor bottom, and sticks up above the water). Due to its construction, the fender floats up and down with the fluctuating water levels and rotates when vessels berth and slide along the fender.

It has closed cell cross-linked polyethylene foam core, a reinforced elastomeric skin and low friction pads at the internal steel core. Donut fenders are available in diameters from about 1 metre to 4 metres. Self-adjusting to changing water levels, donut fenders are utilized in various marine applications, such as locks, dry dock entrances, corner protection, turning dolphins, areas with large tidal variations or bridge protections.

33 Likes

Mystery solved.

15 Likes

Way to spoil the fun, Mr. I-Actually-Know-Something-About-It! /s

Seriously, good explanation. Thanks.

19 Likes

@ArchStanton was right! Was there a prize?

6 Likes