What is this mysterious massive container that washed up on a Florida beach?

Originally published at: What is this mysterious massive container that washed up on a Florida beach? | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Part of an narco sub?

4 Likes

can’t be cut up? what type of metal we talking about here? Vibranium?

27 Likes

Oh shit, it’s Spock!!!

36 Likes
14 Likes

No, it is impossible to cut metal, everyone knows that.

Personally, I think it looks like a nice place for teenagers to hang out while listening to loud music and making faces at the grups. Leave it!

8 Likes

Don’t feed it, it’ll never go away.

10 Likes

“Kneifl said, chances are, the strange object will be removed on a barge and transported elsewhere by sea.”

aka - dumped into the ocean by the lowest bidder that gets the job.

12 Likes

My very first thought was “that’s a big Twinkie”.

6 Likes

It’s pronounced “ply-ah”, James.

3 Likes

15 Likes

The CSS Texas?

7 Likes

That’s a very tall newscaster; the 8 ft tall object only comes up to his waist.

10 Likes

I am NOT sending this article to my Call of Cthulhu GM, because I know it won’t end well.

6 Likes

Unfortunately these sorts of things tend to get washed further inshore during storms and can cause a lot of damage.

More likely sold for scrap. If it washed up once, it will wash up again and whoever removes it basically gets to double dip by selling the salvage. Provided it’s not so rusted out as to be valueless.

Plus that’s not all that big. I know my very small town has barges, trucks and what have big enough to move that. When something like that washes up near here. It tends to just get picked up by the town or county parks department and passed off to the sanitation guys. Just goes in the scrap stream at the local dump.

Kinda surprised this is any kinda news. That’s not common, but it’s definitely normal.

7 Likes

I was having trouble imagining it being as large as they described, even with no reference point it was difficult for my mind to make it 8 feet tall and i was hoping they’d have someone stand next to it. Apparently it’s about 3-4 feet tall or some bizarro perspective thing is going on with the newscaster and a telephoto lens?

2 Likes

You totally could still cut this up with metal saws or torches - just takes longer due to the size…

Of course, if you want a spectacle, you could use dynamite.

3 Likes

News Flash: the oceans are full of our garbage.

It’s a curiosity when it’s big, but when we see bottles and cans and plastic bags and sneakers (with or without feet still attached) it’s no big deal.

6 Likes

17 Likes

I reckon that could hold a fair amount of cocaine probably lots is it warm in here I wanna tell you 'bout my screenplay…

4 Likes