Artist-in-residence stuck on bankrupt container ship that no port will accept

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/07/artist-in-residence-stuck-on-b.html

4 Likes

I hope Rebecca is a strong swimmer.

12 Likes

Perhaps the start of something akin to The Raft in Snow Crash?

24 Likes

Don DeLillo is so excited by this news.

1 Like

The fact that nobody is rushing to buy these containers off of us shows that they cannot be needed that desperately in Asia.

My understanding is that most containers on the US → Asia half of the trip contain only empty space and IOU slips.

15 Likes

Or can figure out how to arrange for a water taxi to come pick her up off the boat?

She at least has email access, or the interview FTA wouldn’t have been possible. What’s the stumbling block here?

6 Likes

No drama? No story…

2 Likes

It’s entirely possible she could be apprehended if she’s considered crew. The crew may be barred entry to the country given the ship’s legal status. This kind of thing happens often. My family have worked with a lot of missions to seafarers and have seen it. You wouldn’t believe how often crew are left holding the bag for shipowner’s debts and mismanagement.

18 Likes

No one else wonders what an Artist-in-Residence does on a container ship?

34 Likes

Shrooms and LSD?

44 Likes

—Which is why they are surprisingly cheap over here. Which is why we seen endless efforts to turn them into cheap housing, despite the fact that they’re not really designed to last, and once you put the infrastructure (insulation, doors windows, plumbing, electricity & etc.) into them to turn them into livable accommodations, you haven’t saved much if any money.

8 Likes

Hopefully more things like this.
http://www.rebeccamoss.org/high-tide-(sausage).html

16 Likes

Looking at her portfolio, I can see how a long slow trip on a container ship might inspire her.

14 Likes

Usually a bigger challenge with artwork, is to know when to let go of it, and consider it finished. Once in a while there is an art project that fights back, and won’t let go of the artist. Sounds like her experience just edged into the realm of performance art, and not in a good way.

9 Likes

Not to worry, I know a guy who can help:

24 Likes

As a side question, who actually owns the stuff inside the containers? How many layers of custodianship must be reconciled before the stuff in the containers can get to a place where it can do some good for someone? Even if every one of those containers is empty, there must be enough value to justify unloading them, otherwise why load them in the first place?

8 Likes

Some of us are too busy wondering why we didn’t think of it first.

9 Likes

I’m thinking all those container sides would make great canvases.

5 Likes

Randomly assembling sculpture out of objects found in containers. Then systematically assembling structures based on algorithm and contain number/etc.

6 Likes

A bankrupt shipping company and a ship that can’t dock? What an art project!!

12 Likes