Artist-in-residence stuck on bankrupt container ship that no port will accept

Japan has a Coast Guard right? Get on that radio and report that the entire crew has severe chest pains. Free helicopter ride to Tokyo.

I’m saving this in case I ever get caught up in one of those “19 hours on the tarmac at LaGuardia” type situations.

3 Likes

The fact that nobody is rushing to buy these containers off of us shows that they cannot be needed that desperately in Asia.

Does she assume that captain buy stuff and put them on containers to sell them at ports ? this isn’t the 1800’s
It called a shipping company because they ship other people stuff

6 Likes

I wouldn’t care whose stuff it was I’d sell it in a heartbeat to buy food and/or get off the ship.

4 Likes

I can’t believe for a second that this is the first time this have ever happened in the history of the world. You’d think that somewhere in Maritime Law there would already be procedures and standard practices for this…

14 Likes

I woke up in 2016 again, didn’t I.

28 Likes

Go back to sleep ye ole wyrm. Dream of a time without Presidential elections.

18 Likes

Could single individuals be transported off via a lifeboat type thing or are they lumped in with the docking problems? Not familiar with maritime law.

1 Like

It’s only an art project when you’ve got enough food and water and power to see you thrpugh. When those are taken away, it’s a survival situation, time to dodge the zombies and scavenge for what you need.

1 Like

This does not jive with my experience as an artist, squatting in the urban wastelands!

8 Likes

Perhaps it’s time some of those containers fell off the back of a truck…boat.

Happens all the time at sea, right?

1 Like

Well, yeah, once you stop distinguishing between the artist vs the work, then all bets are off!

2 Likes

At what point can the ship be taken as salvage? Any BB’ers with a boat large enough to transport maybe 10-15 people with guns and ammunition to the ship? FREE…(checks first container)…B12 supplements for everyone!

12 Likes

Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip,
That started from Seattle’s port, aboard this big-ass ship.
Intrepid young Rebecca Moss, the Resident Artiste,
Set sail on a doomed container ship, not fit for man nor beast!
The weather… well, it wasn’t bad, the food was just so-so.
The seasickness was quite a drag, and the firm ran out of dough.
(The Firm Ran Out Of DOOOOOOUGH!!)
The ship’s becalmed forty leagues offshore, with no friendly port in sight,
The harbormaster’s a whoreson knave, and we’re not equipped to fight.
No land! No trees! No motorcars! Not a single luxury!
(At least outside these containers, locked up tight as can be.)
Her residency’s s’posed to end a mere fortnight from now.
She needs to get her ass ashore, but sees no way nohow.
There’s only so much paint aboard, and all of it is black,
She might could take up dancing, but I fear she lacks the knack.
The “interventions” she has made “do not in themselves change,”
And she had no way to expect how this trip would get strange.
And yet a residency is not meant to last fore’er.
Two-score days and three is all she wanted to spend there.
But now we must rename this ship, the doomed Hanjin Taipei.
It’s now The Flying Deutschman, and will never see a bay!
Rebecca Moss!
The artist lost!
Now spends her days… out at sea!
Hanjin Taipei!
No Professor and Mary Ann
On her residency!

46 Likes

Not designed to last? I disagree. They do need occasional paint, but they can last decades in a salt and heavy wind environment, sometimes on the bottom of a very tall stack.

6 Likes

I’m not sure it’s the most straightforward thing in the world to dock a water taxi to a container ship, but even if the physical transfer were doable without heroics, you can’t just land in a foreign country. She’d have to go to a specific customs port, and even then there are probably legal obstacles to her entering the country. Brits don’t generally need a visa to enter Japan, but sometimes different rules apply to merchant ships. Not that Japan would go out of its way to be a jerk to her under the circumstance, but rules are rules.

As and when the situation goes from “extremely aggravating” to “slightly dangerous” for anyone concerned, I’m sure it’ll get sorted, but meanwhile, she’s going to have to content herself with the great story she’ll have to tell.

3 Likes

From what I understand from other articles, the only thing you’d need guns for is to prevent the crew from boarding YOUR ship.

3 Likes

Some of the containers contain animal skins. What did they die for?

Facepalm.

5 Likes

I need to alter my definition of artist. And possibly get out more.

2 Likes

Looking at her portfolio (as others have) I’m imagining she’s coming up with interesting-to-her ways to pass the time.

3 Likes

Dream for us all!

1 Like