Artist-in-residence stuck on bankrupt container ship that no port will accept

Agh. No! I did not want that earworm. Bad @Donald_Petersen!

5 Likes

Dammit Donald - this is the Sol system, not Ceti Alpha!

5 Likes

Jenga-at-scale?

6 Likes

Could be worse, I had Debbie Gibson’s version of “I think we’re alone now” running through my head as I prepared dinner.

8 Likes

I feel that i should be ashamed of this, but i really like that song.

8 Likes

(Ahem)

“I think she’s ashore now.
There doesn’t seem to be any passengers 'round…”
“But wait!” said the bosun,
“Those bloodstained bones amidships came from her somehow!”

(thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump)

"‘Artists behave.’ That’s what they said at the gallery.
'She won’t get in the way. She’s prob’ly vegan too.'
But now we’re

Running just as fast as we can! Hoping she don’t think we look like Spam!
Starving artist forty leagues from the shore becomes a raving cannibal
And now she wants to eat us all and you say,
‘I think she’s ashore now’?!"

18 Likes

Reinforce/subvert?

6 Likes

Weird Donald Petersevich

10 Likes

Sounds like the Hanjin ships stranded off Long Beach may be able to unload soon, but no word on the fate of the humans onboard those ships. It doesn’t sound like the ships will take on new cargo for a return to South Korea. I wonder if the South Korean embassy here can help repatriate the crew?

It’s interesting to me that there are hundreds of crew members stuck on still ships all over the globe, all conserving food and water, and thousands of people in South Korea who face unemployment as a result of the Hanjin failure, but the BIG story is that a British artist with a sweet gig is facing a few days of slight uncertainty.

It seems like there is an opportunity here to negotiate and pay port fees for the ships in exchange for a share of the proceeds Hanjin stands to make from delivering them. I wonder why no one is stepping up to do that. I bet there’s a really good reason.

10 Likes

I’m sorry, from the time I first read the article, I can’t get the cannibalism outta my head!

10 Likes

They can usually make water.

Not hard at all. Every single time a ship of any size at all enters a port it meets a local pilot who climbs up a ladder and takes control to drive it into dock. I have hitched a ride ashore for a quick trip to the nearest used bookstore on exactly that kind of boat.

Barring a storm of some kind, it is actually borderline trivial to get onto or off of a ship - assuming you have the physical ability to climb a rope ladder anyway. Sobriety can be an issue, in my experience.

Honestly, she is a British person. The ship is outside Japan. It shouldn’t take too much trouble for her to get a visa or visitors permit or whatever the local authorities require. I assume the embassy staff have some role in helping her out. That said, the rest of the crew are probably screwed.

So, in the event that we are about to see a whole bunch of massive container ships go up for auction at very little cost, I wonder how feasible it would be to buy one or more and anchor them offshore of one of the big, high cost cities like Vancouver or San Francisco, then repurpose them into floating residences - I’m thinking more of a floating city like in ‘The Scar’ (though hopefully without vampires, no matter how civic minded) than the one in Snow Crash.

10 Likes

Oh hey lemme help!

6 Likes

i just see that picture and I hear the warble

4 Likes

Here’s a fabulous Flight of the Conchords song about cannibalism!

4 Likes

That reminds me a lot of this book. A classic:

2 Likes

Thank you. He’s just the mutant for the job

2 Likes

Boing Boing’s poet-in-residence, @Donald_Petersen

8 Likes

More evidence for Trump that some humans are simply illegals.

1 Like

Mine too! Never been on a large ship though…

4 Likes