What is this weird animal sound I recorded?

Originally published at: What is this weird animal sound I recorded? | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Freaky. I’m going with frogs.

I was on Ponta Delgado a while back and would have answered cows. But in a pipe? nope.

16 Likes

Young Republicans Club.

15 Likes

el chupa cabra

11 Likes

Si Si mi Amigo.

3 Likes

That’s “Alien vs. Predator II - A Querulous Discussion”.

7 Likes

Sounds kind of like when we had a raccoon and her young in an alcove of our garage.

9 Likes

I don’t know what it was, but it sounds like there were two of them; and, DON’T LOOK ROUNDthey are right behind.

13 Likes

Definitely a herp.

My guess is (invasive) Cuban Tree Frog, see bottom of this page:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-herps/florida-frog-calls/

I believe its sounds has more lower frequency in your recording than many online samples as a result of being in the pipe.

6 Likes

Based on my quick search, there are two frogs on Madeira, Mediterranean Tree Frog and Iberian Green Frog. Both have a pretty similar call.

I imagine Mark knew it had to be a frog, even though it was bit spooky with the pipe reverb.

9 Likes

Shhh newsletter bait. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

We have similar sounding frogs in our yard and neighborhood. I hear them all spring and summer long. It’s a lovely sound to fall asleep to.

8 Likes
4 Likes

I always associate this video with delayed starts of “Racing from Leopardstown” on RTE2.

That and the video for Kraftwerk’s “Autobahn”

3 Likes

Some kind of frog. Seriously, how do you not recognize frogs?

I’ve heard both of these in the wild- the recording is definitely green frogs. Mediterranean tree frogs are ear-splittingly loud, you can hear them over a mile away.

Analysis of call recordings has been used in the past to identify which of the various European green frog species have been introduced outside their natural range, as they can’t easily be distinguished by appearance.

2 Likes

I expected to get rickrolled there.

No clue, but the cat sitting on my arm was very interested.

4 Likes

Djelibebi really was a small self-centred kingdom. Even its plagues were half-hearted. All self-respecting river kingdoms have vast supernatural plagues, but the best the Old Kingdom had been able to achieve in the last hundred years was the Plague of the Frog*.

*It was quite a big frog, however, and got into the air ducts and kept everyone awake for weeks.

1 Like

Yes, this is a Frog in a pipe.

1 Like

The calls remind me of the opening to Underworlds Shudder/King of Snake from the Everything, Everything Live album.