What political party dominates your occupation?

Probably single-issue BS like abortion or guns. Just like way too many people who vote Republican.

@cleveremi: Not sure if the split they’re trying to highlight is between carpenters and pipefitters or carpenters and the people who snake your sewer line.

3 Likes

I find it fascinating that engineers are 70% democratic. When I started out it seemed to me (admittedly purely from reading engineering profession magazines) that it was pretty conservative. I wonder what’s changed. OTOH, biomedical engineers I’ve known over the years have usually been pretty liberal.

4 Likes

I find it significant that Democrats lead in occupations that are best-positioned to influence the culture. It’s important to remember that even though the federal government is currently controlled by Republicans, they’re still switching on their televisions to find sitcoms that feature same sex couples. Trump’s victory may even be read, in part, as a reaction to the fact that conservatives sense themselves as being on the losing end of broader cultural shift.

Personally, I like our position better.

10 Likes

I assume they somehow got frozen in a glacier while taking a hiking trip during Teddy Roosevelt’s administration and were only recently thawed out due to global warming.

18 Likes

“God commands us to defend the wilderness from being polluted by the existence of brown people”?

5 Likes

Unsurprisingly, nearly everyone in my profession (forest restoration) is a supporter of these folks:

8 Likes

Just spit-balling here, but some professions may be heavily influenced by the sparsity of schools/colleges offering those certifications/degrees. For example, there are only a handful of universities that offer cartography, meteorology, and some other occupational degrees.

The locales of such institutions are often skewed to red or blue. The locale of the source institution rather than something intrinsic to the occupation may be having the larger influence, especially for the relatively rarer occupations.

1 Like

Network, QA and SysAdmin are the most Red IT spots.

Seems on par with what I experience.

Damn BOFHs

4 Likes

Didn’t the NRA used to be very pro-conservation (of natural resources) before the conservative nut-jobs took over? I thought that I recalled them mostly being about gun safety and protection of wilderness back in the day…

10 Likes

Perhaps it is due to the creative trades being more blue?
Carpentry (even just framing a building) seems to require more creativity than plumbing which seems much more systematic and regulated.

There are some religious folk that believe that God has tasked us with being stewards of the planet.

4 Likes

There are lots and lots of people that go to chiropractors for back and neck pain, and to an MD for everything else.

Go to an MD for chronic pain, and you’ll be offered few options other than (1) deeply invasive surgery or (2) opiods.

7 Likes

Go to a chiropractor for chronic pain, and you’ll be offered temporary symptomatic relief via an overpriced and needlessly dangerous form of massage based upon a theoretical underpinning of total nonsense.

9 Likes

Haha, hey, don’t hold back. Say what you really think!

1 Like

True. Unfortunately, “temporary symptomatic relief” puts them far ahead of much of the mainstream medical community. Who offer “overpriced and needlessly dangerous form[s] of [surgery] based upon a theoretical underpinning of [limited evidentiary merit]”.

I know a great many fairly sharp people who use chiropractors because they get some relief. They get some reimbursement from insurance. From personal experience I distrust chiropractors. The one I went to when I hurt my lower back was full of woo-woo and a histrionic belief in his medical cult’s baloney. However, when you are in constant pain, even low grade pain… you’re an easy mark.

6 Likes

I want to meet those republican environmentalists. What’s their story?

One example:

1 Like

The Chef/Cattle feeder one is classic: Come on down to the Golden Corral!*

*Side note - that place probably saved my life during a few very long, unfunded road trips in the '90’s. The name is just too good not to make fun with.

4 Likes

My big takeaway was that the more you deal with other humans, the more likely you are to vote Democratic. The less contact you have, or the more you see your fellow humans as something to exploit, the more likely you are to vote Republican.

5 Likes

Cool. Now do a chart about who they voted for and not identify with. I get the the majority of the nation is center of right, but they sure don’t like to vote like it.

2 Likes