What popular websites looked like 20 years ago

Would it be so bad if it was?

2 Likes

Ye olde eBay page reminds me of a Harbor Freight flyer. Maybe that was the intent…

3 Likes

Don’t fret, friend. Scrollbutton and the Lappy are all on YouTube. I just showed the kids Strongbad Emails the other day.

7 Likes

The embedded easter eggs don’t translate to youtube. :cry:

1 Like

The Brothers Chaps were furiously busy as of late with the Kickstarter for their new Trogdor board game. Rewards included this bloody brilliant steam of the first episode of SBCG4AP with live voiceover.

5 Likes

5 Likes

It’s funny that ebay has hardly changed and Coke site looked the most advanced

1 Like

Browser & cross-platform display issues meant that most GIF images needed to stay within a strict 216-color palette back then. When your choice was to have your site look pixelated but color-accurate or to risk a huge chunk of viewers see logos and pictures in bizarre colors, you went for pixelation.

4 Likes

The fact that I only see one or two sites I worked on back in 1996-1998 (IBM, Macromedia, I think there was one other one) is a bit sad; websites are so ephemeral and when entire once-ubiquitous tech disappears (Flash), so does a huge chunk of visual history.

In my opinion, one of the nicest sites we worked on in that late-90s era was the 1998 Olympic site, which really pushed what the web could do back then, way before Flash. It could switch to Japanese on the fly, had interactive games, animation… and was just an insane amount of work. The shaded tabs, fading horizontal lines, and fonts are all signature design elements of Clement Mok / Studio Archetype in the late 90s.

nagano_homenagano_fun

8 Likes

senorcardage

3 Likes

Your counter is broken. I don’t know what number weirdo I am!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.