What the Garfield telephones and mysterious metal spheres washing up on beaches reveal about our oceans

Originally published at: What the Garfield telephones and mysterious metal spheres washing up on beaches reveal about our oceans | Boing Boing

1 Like

Low Earth Orbit is going to have similar but deeper mysteries because the objects will pass (or strike) at relative velocities of kilometers per second.

[ETA: I once heard 10,000 containers were lost at sea per year-- these links indicate it’s more like 2000 on average, but still, that’s a lot. I used to think it was rare, but maybe it’s just rare near land, most are lost in the open ocean, and a certain percentage just sink to the bottom.]

5 Likes

Tells me the oceans want to give our tacky shit back. I am unsure why they aren’t keeping the LEGO tho, that stuff is fun!

5 Likes

You kidding? An octopus stepping on one would probably toss them right out of the ocean. They can’t possibly like them with 8 feet.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.