What the London Underground used to be like

They had wooden treads on the escalators a bit later than that- they were partly to blame for the Kings Cross fire in 1987.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Ah, got the date wrong- yes they removed them after the fire.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the first rule of riding the tube? NEVER make eye contact.

The people standing next to their roll-aboard bags on airport escalators (or moving walkways) infuriate me. Get a backpack or take the elevator.

No, it is not about the system of underground pedestrian walkways in London. It’s about the tube.

4 Likes

Technically, knickers. Only men and boys wear pants. :wink:

2 Likes

You appear to know your stuff. So I’m a bit surprised you say “riding the tube”. USians may ride their subways but we Londoners do not ride the tube. We get it, use it, or travel on it, but we do not ride it. :wink:

5 Likes
1 Like

I’m a USian who’s visited London a few times. So I know some things, but I have much to learn.

Thanks!

2 Likes

A bit of pedantry on my part, but the article makes it seem that the train is called Victoria, when in fact, as you’d probably know, it’s the actual destination of the train, Victoria Station. That’s a train on the Victoria line (know it well).

Born and brought up in London. That was probably one of the better train lines back then in the '70s. I remember the old 1930s red tube trains, which when I was a kid occasionally were still seen on the Northern Line. It’s all improved now and cleaner, but I do have fond memories (and not so fond) of my travels on the Tube back in the '70s, '80s and '90s. I live outside London now, but have occasionally been on the Tube in recent years, and it’s a bit more comfortable… at least when it’s not rush hour.

1 Like

Are we going to have to discus the distinction between the tube lines and the sub surface lines of the London Underground?

4 Likes

Some parts never change.

https://www.citymetric.com/transport/here-are-all-london-s-abandoned-tube-stations-2975

2 Likes

Can we just acknowledge synecdoche is a thing and be done?

3 Likes

Trapped in Nip. I recognise the symptoms.

2 Likes

[Completely superfluous joke]

What the London Underground used to be like

4 Likes

Otto, is that you?

2 Likes

Difficult not to be, since they’re at Green Park, having arrived on a Victoria Line service, and I can’t see anyone holding the requisite three amber tokens to avoid Pickford’s shunting Lemma.

Nowadays, you’d have the option of playing Bermondsey, which would put you in a great position to grab at least fifteen offside points and a gold token, but in those pre-Jubilee line days, this was a very tricky situation to be in indeed. In their position, I’d just Fluff on the next turn and hope that one of the other players needed to pick up on their turn.

8 Likes

Hold on, are you using Trumpington’s Variation?

6 Likes

Yes, I thought that was obvious from the context.

You see, I’m a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to these things, so when playing a 1960s game, I prefer to go with rulesets that allow me to avoid the use of the ghastly Huutchison Diagram of 1960. Trumpington’s allows the use of a Beck or a Garbutt as a replacement if you make allowances for the stations that weren’t open at the time.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m calling this one out as a deepfake. Nobody’s smoking. How are people so easily fooled?

1 Like

Ah. Well, in that case …

Swiss Cottage.

1 Like