What the stampede at JFK airport tells us about fear

I couldn’t agree more. Despite this, however real or imagined, “they” still won.

3 Likes

“Did you hear, Ahmed? We won!”

“So I can stop shitting in the desert and fucking goats and head home?”

“Yeah!”

“Alright!”

2 Likes

Ah yeah, I forgot.

I should have written “plundered and settled”.

2 Likes

I was an eyewitness to one of these spook stampedes in Munich when that kid did a shooting spree at a mall, and rumours were flying about multiple shooters downtown as well. All of a sudden, people were running towards and past me, some women shrieking. In my cluelessness I stood my ground — I wanted to see what was happening and if anyone needed help. Turns out it was panic because of a plainclothes officer being mistaken for a terrorist.

4 Likes

Oh horseshit. Natural selection favors the alert and lucky. Not necessarily in that order.

The real problem on display here is the limited value of security authorities. They have their place in maintaining an orderly, peaceful society. However, they - and the “experts” who’ve made bank these past 15 years - are no substitute for an informed, empowered, moderately well-trained populace.

Over the past few decades, vast effort has been put into ‘dumbing down’ an already de-boned population (insert chicken noises here). Clearly this is true in the U.S. and I think it’s the case to some degree in Western Europe. We should reverse course, boost the status and the responsibility level of the average citizen, and dis-empower our ever-growing “security” bureaucracies.

Pink slips, furloughs, ending no-bid contracts, de-privatizing key governmental functions. I can think of bunch of things that would revive this nation. Almost none of them involves “fighting terrorism”.

4 Likes

The episode tells us - nay - shows us the results of fear’s relentless manufacture.

1 Like

I was too subtle, wasn’t I? You’ve got it, exactly. The idea that a so-called good guy with a gun will be able to differentiate between other so-called good guys and actual bad guys in a situation like this is laughable, especially so if there are no actual bad guys around. And how will the police recognize the good guys?

4 Likes

Same thing, 100 years ago.

This is from a blog post about the James Thurber essay, “The Day the Dam Broke.”

1 Like

and promptly vanished in a puff of logic

3 Likes

Thank you for the article, but I think it would lose nothing if the word “hysterical” weren’t used.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.