What Toto's "Africa" is really about

Wow, really? I don’t think I ever had a stable parse of that line, but I surely never got close to “like no-one else”…

1 Like

Well, I’m a Bad Messiah, but I can’t help but love you so!

In semi-related shenanigans, supposedly Stevie Nicks gets co-writer credit on Fleetwood Mac’s 1987 song “Seven Wonders” because she slightly misheard the demo that original writer Sandy Stewart submitted. Are those two really friends?

1 Like

Well, as you can see in the thread above, some of us have no idea we’ve misheard lyrics until one random day when we see them in writing.

The one song that apparently tons of people have misheard the lyrics for is Smells Like Teen Spirit. Frankly, I’m not sure what they’re hearing wrong as the part of the song most misheard is “a mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido,” but I hear it clearly. :thinking:

3 Likes

I don’t think everyone assumes that; as there are entire webpages and blogs devoted to commonly misheard song lyrics.

Like Edith said, most of us are more so surprised when we finally realize that we’ve been mistaken for years.

6 Likes

I remember that Hacke quoted people in his book writing in to tell that they thought they were the only ones, so my view is biased.

You and @IronEdithKidd are quite right, we all probably just realise we misheard the lyrics when someone tells us. Hence the collections.

It’s definitely something to talk about at a party.
Also, to sing along to.

3 Likes

Relevant portion @ 1:52

(Sorry in advance if this is overplayed in some environs; I’d never heard it until last Dec.)

So joyful.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.