What Toto's "Africa" is really about

You beat me to it - BEST cover of Africa by far.

I’d recommend Rick Beato’s analysis, too. He’s done tons of 30 minutes break downs of songs (I’ve only seen the one for Peter Gabriel’s In You Eyes, but I think he does Africa by Toto, as well as a bunch of others songs across genres):

He seems to be a musician, producer, and educator.

3 Likes

11th-doc-this

2 Likes

I always thought it was “chase the rains” when I was a kid.

I know that makes no sense, but neither did the rest of the song…

6 Likes

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone.
I can see all the popsicles in my way…

Marmoset there be days like this, there be days like this, marmoset
(marmoset, marmoset)

7 Likes

“Excuse me while I kiss this guy…”

11 Likes

Um this is the best cover of Africa, I know because it says so right there in the title…

sorry.

Hmmm. I suspect this speaks less to the various merits of either song, and more to the fact you’re probably from Europe.

Ah, so you get to see the different philosophies of memory enshrinement at work!

9 Likes
3 Likes

I have a big fondness for choral performances, so to me the best cover is this one:

1 Like

As a kid, I always liked that AC/DC song about those two vigilante heroes, Dirty Steve and The Thunderchief.

9 Likes

And their dirty deeds that are done with sheep.

7 Likes

There’s a name for this kind of thing, by the way.

7 Likes

6 Likes

I’e been having a really bad day, and seeing these people having so much damn fun rocking out to Africa made the day a bit brighter :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, if you’re going to subject us to that, then you get this:

And something else to hurt your ears…

And an actually cool cover (even if the steel drum is cheating a bit…)

and my favorite metal cover guy:

O.k. maybe I like this particular soft rock classic a bit too much…

4 Likes

Interestingly, the Wikipedia page doesn’t contain a section on German Verhörer. Blatant racism of the title and the cover image aside, there is hugely popular little book series by Axel Hacke about the phenomenon. Started as a column for the sz magazin about a line from “Der Mond ist aufgegangen” he heard as “der Weiße Neger Wumbaba” when it should have been “der weiße Nebel wunderbar”.

This lead to a flood of letters to the author, which he worked into a first and then subsequent books.

I find it interesting that everyone assumes they are the only ones who have misheard the lyrics.

Oh, and I heard “I guess the rain’s down in Africa”.

1 Like

A Mondegreen that had me fooled from the 1990s up until a few years ago was the chorus of the alt pop staple She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals.

I had never realized the lyric in the chorus was “like no one else”, not “her long dark hair”.

Spank my ass and call me Jamaica.

3 Likes