Whatcha Playin'? Continue?

I wonder how GoG is paying the companies. Loop Hero is in that screenshot, and Valve had stopped Steam payments to Four Quarters because of sanctions, so the studio was encouraging piracy (and against the war). DmitryDeceiver’s pixel art is worth more than 7 bucks, at any rate.

1 Like

I have been avoiding posting Tears of the Kingdom build stuff, because there’s just so much of it, and it’s so fun to figure things out on your own.

However, this seemed something that needed to be posted to boing boing

1 Like

…and, of course, the now genuinely iconic Square, Triangle, X and O… Or, Circle and Cross, I suppose we should call them, really.

Back when Twitter was still usable, there was a PlayStation UK post about the correct names for the face buttons and the real naming scheme was finally revealed by @TheDrencrom (Internet Archive).

Stop Skeletons from Fighting did a dive into the PlayStation mouse and a brief impression of the N64 version of the Reality Quest Glove. But, waaay more on the N64 mouse. Never heard of Tobal, but Masters of Teras Kasi could’ve been worse according to Matt McMuscles’ The Worst Fighting Game series (which also looked at that Sawada super).

1 Like

I’m not good with compound word rules but I think teräs käsi [steel hand] is wrong it should be teräskäsi. Then again that it sounds stupid anyway.

Maybe teräsnyrkki [steel fist] like tekken meaning iron fist [rautanyrkki]. Of course Teräsnyrkki is taken by the Steel Claw a British comicbook hero from the 60s. Teräskoura [steel hollow of the hand (sounds better in Finnish)]?

Weird thing is that in Solo they say it wrong even though the guy playing Chewbacca was a Finn…

1 Like

Solo is also the movie that gave us the reason behind Lando saying Han differently than everyone else in the galaxy; he just didn’t like the guy and didn’t care. As a teenager, I kind of liked the game, but I didn’t care enough about it to learn how it should be pronounced. I didn’t think it could have originated from a real language, didn’t know what those diacritics meant, and my pronunciation was the same as Qi’ra’s (whose own name could be different, with that fantasy apostrophe). Maybe the name’s inclusion was something left over from the first director team’s time on the project, maybe they just took a poll on set about how people were saying it, maybe Emilia Clarke had enough other things to learn how to say like sabaac or dejarik they let that one go by.

1 Like

Did they actually outright say that? I don’t remember enough of the movie to doubt it, really. I always thought Lucas explained it away by saying everyone has a different accent/dialect in a galaxy far far away, so it’s all correct.

1 Like

I’ve heard that as well, but Lando pronounces it differently immediately after Han introduces himself at the card game. I suppose there could still be a book or comic where another character pronounces Han as Lando does, but the only other movie character pronouncing a name different that comes to mind is Poe prank-calling “General Hugs” at the start of The Last Jedi.

This is where I would try to bring this back to the topic, but the last voiced Star Wars video game I played was Aspyr’s port of Jedi Academy.

Anyone have any recommendations for good two player adventure games I could play with my kid this summer? She’s 8 (will be 9 in the fall) and does pretty well with video games. I’d love to find something that we could do together as a summer thing. I’d love a 2 player co-op Zelda clone or something along the lines of Secret of Mana, but a little less chaotic.

2 Likes

The Lego games do couch co-op really well. My son and I had a great time with the Lego Star Wars games when he was around that age. And there’s a lot of options to choose from, too, depending on your shared interests.

I would also reconsider Secret of Mana. It’s such a great game! I can’t think of any co-op game that quite matches it.

2 Likes

What @OhHai said! The Lego games are great and there is a huge variety of them, so there is likely something that will appeal (I am a huge fan of the action movie/GTA parody Lego City!)

3 Likes

I had to look up Lego City: Undercover to see if you were punking us or not…how did I miss that? It looks awesome!

3 Likes

It was originally a Wii-U exclusive, so a lot of people missed it when it came out and I guess it did not get as much buzz when it later came out on other platforms.

Also, it might have gotten a bad rap for the very long load times on the Wii-U. Those are not an issue on other platforms though

It’s so good! Especially if you know 80s action/cop movies

ETA: Damn it, now I am installing it, even though I know I won’t touch it until the kingdom has cried it’s last tear

1 Like

I have flight sticks for Elite Dangerousing and MS Flight Simming on the way, so I’m basically just wishlisting everything else that sparks my interest these days.

1 Like

I second (third? fourth?) the Lego suggestions.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a good game, but may be a little less actiony than you want.

2 Likes

The Lego games are a great idea, thanks! I hadn’t even thought of those.

I’ve got a Mana replay coming up very soon. I just think she might not love the level building/grinding aspects of it.

Thanks! Action isn’t necessary. I’ll check this one out.

2 Likes

Re: Brothers…might be a little bit of a gut punch (one of the brothers dies), depending on your child, though it is one of the most affecting intersections of story and gameplay ever pulled off.

Can you actually play it co-op? I can’t even imagine how that would work

Hmm, I thought you could just the way the gameplay was, it’d be easy enough to split out. Googling says that’s Switch only, nothing else. Might be able to manage it on PS5 with the controller sharing.

1 Like

The recommendations for LEGO games are well-deserved. Anything from LEGO Indiana Jones 2 onward should have a dynamically splitting screen to keep players from fighting over which direction to travel, which my house referred to as Secret of Mana syndrome. I don’t think the remake of Secret of Mana changed anything there, but I haven’t played it.

If you don’t mind the screen not splitting, Collection of Mana is an option for playing that game (and Trials of Mana, which has 3 party members, yet it’s only 2-player). I find it a bit hard to go back to without the patch which changes the item stack limit from 4 to 9. Another action-RPG on Nintendo Life’s best couch co-op list is the Switch exclusive Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, which I have played a bit with my nephew. That one has you swapping between four characters (with a larger roster accessible at save points), but it’s rated a bit older.

1 Like

Thanks! That helps a lot. The article you linked to is filled with good ideas.

Ah, yeah. I remember dealing with that :grimacing:

Thanks for the heads up. She got all teary over a scene in A Link to the Past, so I’m sure Brothers would do the same.

1 Like