Whatcha Playin'? Continue?

I just finished the game after starting it in June. It’s an odd game. All in all, though, I really like it. There are so many little things to do that I lost sight of the main quest for a while. So many quests that you can’t complete them all, climbable enemies, different classes to max out, training your pawn and enlisting others, and then there’s the subtle romance mechanic that plays a completely unnecessary role at the end. (Not a spoiler. It’s a big nothing.) It’s an imperfect game. It’s still so much more interesting than many other ARPGs.

Not sure I can be too optimistic about this campaign, but I wholeheartedly support it.

2 Likes

I don’t see it on Tidal yet :sob:

It has been on the Internet Archive for a while, though, and TIL that they have a WinAMP emulator that you can play albums on. Do your best. Feel so good.

6 Likes
1 Like

I’ve never heard of the game but I used to be a big Shibuya kei fan so I will be on that!

1 Like

Awesome! Katamari Damacy is one of my favorites. It’s weird and wonderful. The sequel was good, too, but I like the soundtrack from the first one more, and the music is a big part of the enjoyment of the game for me. Have fun!

Bullseye with Jesse Thorn recently did an interview with the creator of the game, too, if you are interested. That’s where I heard about the soundtrack being released via digital/streaming channels.

1 Like

https://storage.googleapis.com/popshopprod-shop-renderer-assets-q9gk7sc6/themes/assets/e070e8ee-7276-4529-8418-2fb175616cd4/assets/image-1711933030-image-8337dc5529c735ef86578152ff5d1106ed4d6b160d8d674d4206244f38fed1c2.gif

3 Likes

I decided to play (and complete, darn it) some games in my backlog. After finishing Jedi: Fallen Order, I decided to play Control, not realizing/remembering that it was part of a connected universe. I started to get Twin Peaks vibes from it, which jostled something loose in my memory, and I went back and looked up @Jesse13927’s comment about Alan Wake and yours about the Remedy Connected Universe.

The beginning of Control was so good, though, that I stopped playing and went and added Alan Wake Remastered to my library and started playing that instead. I played through it pretty fast, wanting to get the story down more than do a completionist playthrough. I liked it, and felt like I couldn’t just go ahead to Control from there, so I also picked up AW: American Nightmare and Quantum Break.

I’m not sure where you are at with your playthrough, but I just gotta say thank you for posting your plan. I don’t think I would have played Quantum Break otherwise. I finished it today. It’s just great. Great game, great storytelling. Really good pacing, just the right amount of reading. It’s got me even more fired up for Control and AW 2. I wish more games had integrated TV shows, though! Fans of Lance Reddick should definitely give it a play (after playing Alan Wake Remastered to catch all of the references, of course). Thank you, @sqlrob! I hope you enjoy QB as much as I did!

2 Likes

Oh!

4 Likes

Does anyone here play Star Wars Battle Front 2?

I’ve come to the too-late realization that collecting physical media for games is only a little better than digital downloads. Sure, I have access to the game after services go offline and I can take it to another device.

It may not be the complete or final version of the game, though. And that sucks. I picked up a copy of River City Girls 1 & 2 for the Switch and downloaded a quality of life update for the second game. (The first game is the final version, having been released after the last update.) I don’t know why it took me this long to realize this disappointment. Not every game goes through this. But enough either need to be patched/updated or have non-trivial DLC that physical copies cannot be considered having the full game.

1 Like

But very rarely, you can also play an older and maybe “better” version of a game, like Dragon Age: Inquisition before they nerfed the Knight-Enchanter. That’s the only example I can think of off-hand. More often now it’s stuff that needs to be patched to enjoy the game.

1 Like
3 Likes

It’s about some “controversy” over the game Assassin’s Creed…

1 Like

The amount of white people I’ve seen going deep into the history on this topic has been… interesting to say the least. So many folks are passionate about the details but I don’t think I’ve seen many black or Japanese people arguing the specifics to the degree white folk have been (which is likely why you posted in White Culture first).

1 Like

If anyone is looking for a fancy X-Box/PC game controller, Verizon is selling the X-Box Elite Series 2 controller with the full kit (new) for less than the Core edition controller usually sells for:

Still torn between

invader zim i have a mighty need GIF

and

Not Safe For Work No GIF

1 Like

I think I will bite the bullet and buy Alan Wake 2 when I have a dark, flashlight-lit horror game itch to scratch. That certainly looks atmospheric, though. And scary.

Great, you just reminded me I need to get back to the first game :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Good! You’re the one that tuned me into the whole Remedy Connected Universe, and I love it.