Whatcha Playin'? Continue?

Old School Reaction GIF

It’s about time someone took the murder mystery party up a few notches. That’s exactly what I’d love to see at conventions if we can never make them standalone shops in the US. (As the video points out, the escape room craze in the US has probably already peaked. I don’t think we could support these.)

This video fills me with the same sort of disappointment as another video he did years ago on his other channel, Shut Up and Sit Down, about mega games. These are games meant to be played by extremely large groups of players with many interconnected systems handled by the various roles on each team. I did not see an explosion of them following the video. I don’t want jubensha games to be the same way.

2 Likes

Jubensha sounds incredible! And potentially incredibly problematic. I sincerely hope they take off around the world with the safeguards they talk about in the video. Especially seeing as how censorship and script-approval by the government looks like it might end up killing the entire genre in China.

@GospelX I think these have a better chance of catching on just because of the difference in scale. A jubensha village sounds awesome, but so does a boxed experience to play around the table. They will probably have difficulty more difficulty than TTRPGs because you’re buying more of a one-off experience, but they may also have a broader appeal? Hopefully they will gain some traction.

2 Likes

I feel like there’s always a puzzle in an adventure game that you won’t get. But some games inhabit a world all of their own logic…

(This talk feels weirdly ancient to me now - I started putting it together in 2019 then, obviously, it sat in a folder for years.)

Big thanks to Daniel Crocker for filming this at the last second. And my apologies to all humans for the way I kept moving away from the microphone, meaning it took aaaages to fix the audio.

1 Like

@pesco

Just saw the article and thought it might be something you like. It’s not something I’ve tried.

In a way, we’ve been here before, when a company associated with consoles becomes a third-party software developer to the rest. (See: Atari, Hudson (kinda), SNK, Sega.) Where this is going is really different, though. Microsoft is all in on cloud gaming subscriptions and wants its Game Pass everywhere. Xbox takes on a new meaning when it’s technically available everywhere sans console.

They really need to fix their cloud implementation though. I’ve frequently gotten 15 minute or more wait times. It’s honestly gotten that I’ll download the game because I’ll have it downloaded it not much more time than it would take to connect.

I’ve never had a wait time on PS+ streaming, but it I don’t use that as much as the Xbox streaming.

1 Like

The service they currently have needs work. I’ve tried Game Pass on my PC a couple of times now. It works for a few days, forces me to update, and then only gives me errors. Customer service is useless save for processing my refund. They definitely can’t make an overnight switch to this direction.

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted to play these games, but never got around to it.

3 Likes

We have entered a new stage of play for Vampire Survivors in my household: my wife enjoys it.

She played it once after we had a full-family fail of a session playing Super Mario Bros. Wonder, then she not only installed VS on her phone but also demanded that I hook the Switch up to the TV upstairs to make playing the game more convenient (and warm).

The designer did a great job implementing multiplayer. It balances being easier in some ways (more attacks on screen, more bodies collecting things) and being more difficult in other ways (must stay on the same screen – even if the other player is dead and reviving, enemies feed off of dead players and become bigger and tougher). Not that I was even close to done thanks to all the content dumped over the last few months, but this has revitalized the game in some ways.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Not surprising that Link’s Awakening was influenced by Twin Peaks. Surprising that Nintendo had a conversation with Mark Frost while developing it.

3 Likes

I have been slowly trucking through Donkey Kong 64 for the past few days. I can only seriously sit down to play it for about two hours per session before my brain wants to shut off from how draining it can get sometimes. However, I am absolutely determined to finish it one way or another.

2 Likes

I kinda felt the same way when I played through the Ocarina of Time last year. Those older games can be a slog to get through.

2 Likes

It took a while to figure out exactly how 3D games should play, and it was really the PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation that really offered the tech to pull it off well. Now that Nintendo knows better, I’d love to see them remake Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask using the Breath of the Wild engine or even completely from scratch. Reimagine the puzzles, tighten some quests, improve horseback riding, and maybe even tweak the combat system.

1 Like

That’s not surprising at all. I bought the N64 when it first came out, but drifted away from video games around the same time, so I didn’t spend too much time with it.

I struggled a lot with the game mechanics during OoT. Little details like walking in a straight line were nearly impossible for me. I noticed a big improvement between OoT and Majora’s Mask, but couldn’t get into MM for other reasons.

2 Likes

Hard to disagree with Uematsu here. Movies and games are different mediums. Movies have a purposefully static presentation in order to give everyone the same experience, whereas games are interactive and can give people more individualized experiences. The music should reflect that to some degree.

1 Like

Nintendo was able to defeat Yuzu in court because the group was getting money from the project. Now groups are creating (presumably) totally free emulators, and they’re popping up all over.

It’s interesting to note from this link that some emulators can provide improved performance for games, even when being run through the Switch. It wouldn’t be a surprise if it’s due to Nintendo’s home screen running inefficiently in the background.

Inspired by the release of the sequel I dusted off my barely-started copy of Dragon’s Dogma. I’ve been playing it for >15hrs and I still not quite sure whether I like it or not.

1 Like

From the little I played of it a while ago, I disliked how rapidly enemies respawned when you had to do a lot of backtracking.

The other thing that stuck with me is that unlike most other RPGs, quests are time sensitive. Accepted one to save someone and failed it because I planned on ignoring it until I got to that region for something else (see: backtracking above).

1 Like