Whatcha Playin'? Continue?

Offering a roguelike mode to a game like this sounds brilliant if pulled off well. I haven’t played either of the Last of Us games, but this should work if the combat and crafting systems are good.

1 Like

DooM is 30 years old.

The Playstation Catalog has preyed on my childhood fixation on Super Dodgeball and River City Ransom by offering River City Melee Mach!! It’s essentially the Super Smash Bros. of the Kunio-Kun series of games. Like other games in the series, the focus is on fun rather than deep mechanics. Oh, and some absurdity. I’ve now used two characters who use the same screen-clearing move that looks like it’s probably the devastating impact of a fart but is only made clear that’s what it is in one team’s story mode.

I’m having some people over for Yule later this week. It will be interesting to see how it holds up as a couch multiplayer with a few adults. As a one-player game it’s a perfectly alright diversion for maybe 30 minutes at a time.

1 Like

I’ve been playing NieR:Automata for around 30 hours now, and it’s been a blast.

ETA or maybe sad as fuck…

When it comes to combat, the machines show overwhelming adaptive behavior and evolutionary speed

So why do they Insist on Imitating humanity? And more specifically, why do they imitate their failures?

It’s almost as if the objective is failure itself

I sense a change in the data. Some kind of movement. I hone my perception and hold my breath,

2 Likes

The Epic Game Store is giving away The Outer Worlds today:
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
Merry Christmas everybody!

3 Likes

I’ve been playing Alan Wake 2 and, holy shit, it’s good.

The music level comes out of nowhere and is a straight-up banger. I think this is one of the best single levels of a game that I have ever played.

3 Likes

That game sounds pretty amazing. I’ve never played the first one, but see the remastered edition is on sale. How much would one miss out on going directly to the second game and skipping the first?

2 Likes

I’m working on a (very slow) playthrough of the entire universe.

Alan Wake Remastered → Alan Wake New American Nightmare → Quantum Break → Control Ultimate Edition → Alan Wake 2.

I figure 2 will be pretty cheap by the time I get to it.

ETA:

And probably a watch of Bright Falls after I finish the first game.

3 Likes

Oh dang! I had no idea there was that much to it.

1 Like

It would be like watching Twin Peaks: The Return without first watching the original run of Twin Peaks.

Epic Games is finishing their daily holiday giveaway with Guardians of the Galaxy from 2021:
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy

2 Likes

At this point it’s fairly easy to forget that Rock Band was once a force in video games. Now it seems pretty passé. While Harmonix says that they don’t plan to end the online service for the game anytime soon, the fact that they’re ending new song releases is not exactly the best sign of things to come.

1 Like

Just wrapped up my playthrough of Outer Wilds (plus Echoes of the Eye DLC). Truly amazing game, one of a kind. It tries to do a lot of things - open world exploration, space travel, detective mystery, physics puzzles, archeology - and succeeds at all of them. Very clever design of game mechanics and environments, neat art style, great music, and generally good vibes. For anybody who hasn’t played it and finds any of the above interesting, I highly recommend picking it up. Preferably without looking up any more details about it, so you can figure everything out by yourself.

2 Likes

This was posted over in the Enshittification topic a few days back. Just curious about thoughts on game subscriptions here and how many of us are already subscribed to gaming services.

1 Like

I’m not subscribed to any services. I play sporadically enough that it wouldn’t be worth it. I generally buy games on sale and play when I get the chance. I wish that my game library was on physical media, though, since I’m relying on Steam/GOG/Epic not just yoinking the games I’ve paid for.

2 Likes

Yeah. This is a horrible take. It’s only going to make people more interested in piracy.

I don’t subscribe to any gaming services, but I could end up doing it if my daughter gets into gaming enough. Not Ubisoft, though. They’ve long made it clear they don’t care about gamers.

I’m mostly into retro gaming these days. I increasingly have zero issues with emulation, especially if this is how game companies are going to carry on.

2 Likes

I have a subscription to each of the major ones (PS+ / XGP / NO / GPP). I end up playing a lot of different games, and bounce between. I still buy games I really want, otherwise just wait for them to show up since it has been a relatively frequent occurrence of me buying something then it showing up on one of the services a few days or weeks later.

Despite this, I think that exec is smoking stuff and needs to share, because it’s really good. Not a chance in hell I’d spend that much on one publisher per month. If it means I can’t get their games :person_shrugging:. It’s not like I don’t have thousands in my backlog (not an exaggeration)

You don’t have to worry about GoG, just download the backups when you buy the game and keep an eye for updates. I started doing that after they pulled that “closing down” stunt a while back.

1 Like

I just ended a 1 year subscription to Playstation Plus that included their games catalog. It was nice to have, but the few games I downloaded I never got through. The price of that tier is now roughly half the price of a PS4 or Switch, and I realize that’s not worth it to me considering how much time I end up putting into playing the console. But the idea of subscriptions to play games isn’t entirely wrong. I don’t like it, but that seems to be the direction things are going in. We’ve got a generation of gamers raised on iPads who are used to games being ephemera that was never considered owned so much as accessed. Microsoft keeps wanting to make a console without a disc drive. Internal HDDs are getting bigger for a big reason. I suspect we’ll be forced into subscription-based services within the next couple of console generations. And if they do keep physical media around, they’ll probably make them even more expensive.

I think that’s one of the main reasons why I wait for games to be significantly discounted if I buy them digitally. If they’re suddenly taken away, it’s not as much of a loss. That’s kind of a crappy rationale, but it’s the one I got.

I’ve long believed that, but I don’t know that I believe it anymore. The popular speculation was that piracy would go up when Netflix blocked sharing outside of the household, but apparently there was a boom in subscribers so large that now Netflix is comfortable with not only removing the cheapest ad-free tier of their service but also raising their prices. The majority seem to be too easily accepting of whatever new terms these companies are dishing out. And the rest of us just have to suffer along.

Yeah, one publisher is a bit much, especially when it’s Ubisoft saying that.

1 Like

Been playing Cult of the Lamb, made it further along this time than the other times I’ve made it.

Who should I sacrifice first?
  • The coward that always run away when I’m close. If you’re going to run away from me, I’m going to give you reason
  • The one that doesn’t like sacrifices
  • Senior citizen
0 voters

ETA: It was the coward. Only one I could remember the name of and he was annoying me.

2 Likes