Whatcha Playin'? Continue?

I’m playing Horizon Zero Dawn right now, and Aloy is a great protagonist. It’s refreshing. She’s so dry and matter-of-fact with her shut-downs of guys boasting, coming-on, or being all-around sociopaths out in the wilds of post-apocalyptic Colorado. I really, really hope that this is the direction that games continue to go in. The medium needs to grow up.

2 Likes

CYGNI All Guns Blazing is free on Epic this week. I think it’s a bullet hell game. At least I am getting my ass kicked.

Some of my favorite shmups:

Warning Forever is free

The Last Eichhof is also free.

Raptor: Call of the Shadows isn’t.

2 Likes

I love shmups! I’m nowhere near as good as I used to be with them, though, which makes me shy away from bullet hells now. But some of my favorites are:
Life Force
Axelay
Ikaruga
Gradius V

The last two I’m especially fond of because they include an appreciable mechanic: you unlock credits, up to unlimited, based on time spent playing. To me that’s one of the ultimate ways to years players for continuing to play the game.

2 Likes

I’m way behind on this topic and I don’t know how I missed this, but this is great. The Katamari series has such great music - fun, catchy, campy, yet totally earnest.

This is a great doujin EP of dancified Katamari Damacy series songs:

2 Likes

John Green is live-streaming himself playing Tetris…

Because why not!

3 Likes

We investigate the relationship between physical attractiveness and the time people devote to video/computer gaming. Average American teenagers spend 2.6% of their waking hours gaming, while for adults this figure is 2.7%. Using the American Add Health Study, we show that adults who are better-looking have more close friends. Arguably, gaming is costlier for them, and they thus engage in less of it. Physically attractive teens are less likely to engage in gaming at all, whereas unattractive teens who do game spend more time each week on it than other gamers. Attractive adults are also less likely than others to spend any time gaming; and if they do, they spend less time on it than less attractive adults. Using the longitudinal nature of the Add Health Study, we find supportive evidence that these relationships are causal for adults: good looks decrease gaming time, not vice-versa.

1 Like

professor farnsworth futurama GIF

Fallout 1, 2 & Tactics free from Epic Games August 29 to September 5.

2 Likes

Fallout 4 Power GIF by Salih Kizilkaya

2 Likes

Capcom is cashing in on nostalgia in the best way right now. A month or so after announcing the Marvel vs Capcom Collection, they’ve announced Capcom Fighting Collection 2.

A few of these games – most notably the Power Stone games – have had very limited ports to home consoles. The only thing that could make this collection any better would be Tech Romancer. I’ll be patient and wait for a potential volume 3.

1 Like

Or what is nobody playing?

This.

1 Like

I expected it to die a (relatively) slow death, not get the plug pulled this quickly.

There’s going to be a Prime show episode featuring it. Wonder if they’ll get Amazon to pull that :laughing:

1 Like

What’s the whole deal with this game? I’ve been seeing people talk about it all week, but I don’t know why it’s suddenly on everyone’s mind or being declared a flop :man_shrugging:

1 Like

TBH I got the impression it’s just one of those piss money away rather than ever pay a cent tax which might go to food, housing, or health for the poors.
Two hundred million? Grand. That will sort out our tax shenanigans for a while.

Oh. So it’s nothing? Just people complaining about… nothing. Business as usual, then. Got it.

Well it’s a huge project, 8 years, $200,000,000 development costs. 150+ developers according to the above and to just write it off and shut it down…

Sorry. Yeah. I’m not knocking the work of the devs or anything like that. But the way the company just shuttered it. It feels like there wasn’t a reason. They just did it and started complaining they had to. Typical tech industry BS.

1 Like

I’m a little disappointed in the Weeping Angel section of the PSVR2 Doctor Who game. It doesn’t use the eye tracking of the headset; blinking doesn’t matter, you just have to face in the general direction.

1 Like