Whatcha Playin'? Continue?

Videogame nostalgia in Latin America.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t know why I did not think of this sooner, but if you think she might be up for a long JRPG the Tales games from Namco Bandai are anime AF. The newest one Tales of Arise is great - you begin the game by leading a slave rebellion! Oh! And Arise is on sale at the moment!

Also very good is Tales of Berseria - a little rougher (it’s a few years old) but still a great JRPG. You are a young woman who has been made “demonic” and you decide to kill God…as you do. (It’s actually pretty nuanced)

1 Like

Well Persona 5 is her favourite thing in the world right now so you might be on to something there!

I’ll put it on the wish list thanks. I’m sure it will be on sale again.

2 Likes

Consider the Wasteland games - spiritual successors to Fallout. Similar feel, updated experience. Still a little clunky if I remember, but better.

2 Likes

You made my brain

You made my brain hurt.

Fallout was the spiritual successor to Wasteland, now the new Wastelands are the spiritual successor of Fallout :exploding_head:

3 Likes

I played the first one when it came out, but have never gotten around to the modern sequels. I have started playing the first new one (wasteland 2), but keep falling off (not it’s fault - just a time thing). I own and occasionally consider playing the updated original, before coming to my senses.

Fun fact - the original Wasteland was largely designed by Liz Danforth and Ken St Andre of Tunnels and trollies fame!

1 Like

Dishonored is a great series. If you like that, definitely check out Deathloop from the same studio. It’s got a more modern aesthetic (by that I mean more 1960s mod vs 1830s Industrial Revolution) but retains many gameplay elements (it’s also strongly hinted to be in the same universe). It’s available for free to Xbox Game Pass subscribers.

1 Like

Well… much like Lego games, you can easily sink hundreds of hours into most of the games on that list as well. I can speak from experience I’ve easily put in 100+ hours each for AC:O, Skyrim, and State of Decay 2. Hitman Trilogy is in my backlog and looks similarly expansive. (I’m not familiar with the other two.)

Other than that, :man_shrugging:

OMG I just love the Persona series. Persona 5 Royal has been on Game Pass for a couple months now, and Persona 4 Golden and Persona 3 Portable just dropped on recently. I can’t wait to replay them all. P4G is one of my favorite games of all time.

2 Likes

Oh! You’re right of course. I only got in at Wasteland 2, which for me was rekindling that Fallout 1&2 love. The earlier history had completely slipped my mind.

1 Like

Things like that seem to happen in gaming with some frequency.

Civilization (board game) → Civilization (video game) → Civilization (board game based on the video game) is one of those that just makes me go huh.

2 Likes

Thanks! I actually just started Deathloop last week, but am still getting through my first loop. It’s the only Arkane game I have not played, so I decided to knock it out before Redfall comes out. Super excited about Redfall now that they have started to make Far Cry 2 comparisons!

ETA: just to double down on @ficuswhisperer 's endorsement of Dishonored, it is the only game that I have ever finished and then immediately played from the beginning completely to the end again

2 Likes

I really enjoyed it. I tried going in blind, avoiding spoilers and reviews. I quite enjoyed figuring everything out and getting to understand how things worked so when it finally clicked for me how to actually break the loop, it felt very rewarding. (It also helped to write down some notes to make sure I didn’t forget what needed to be done and when.)

2 Likes
3 Likes

I was going to skip the comments for sanity’s sake, but managed to see them. 3 comments, all deleted, and the topic closed.

2 Likes

Great, another forum that I now feel like I should try to keep tabs on. I have enough trouble keeping up with BoingBoing while trying to work and become Elden Lord.

1 Like

Focus on becoming Elden Lord - you gotta plan for your future

1 Like

So wise!

1 Like

Gamer forums tend to attract toxic gatekeepers who want the hobby to only be fun for their sort of person. I’m glad Restera, which I had never heard of until now, is not one of those places. There should be as little promotion and mention of that game as possible.

2 Likes

While I have not really visited it much, it was formed as a response to the toxicity at NeoGAF, an older site which it has replaced. Everything I have heard is very positive - I learned about it from the 8-4 podcast

2 Likes