Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Exactly. When the movie was over, I just felt numb. It’s all too real to make me want to laugh. It’s how society-at-large is reacting to climate change and Covid and late-stage capitalism and other ills that could be fought… but aren’t. It’s worth watching, but I wouldn’t classify it as a feel-good flick.

8 Likes

I laughed, a lot.
But once it was over, at the point I’d normally text friends to recommend it, I’d stopped laughing and was a bit despairing and needing a hug.

Great movie, but damn is it bleak and you’ll need a Unicorn Chaser soon after.

Unicorn GIF by MOODMAN

11 Likes

Indeed. The two bits during the credits were mini unicorns, but yeah, they didn’t alleviate my need for a hug.

6 Likes

We watched The Lost Daughter yesterday since it just became available on Netflix. Very, very good. But also the scariest movie that I have seen in a long while, but fortunately it didn’t end as badly as we were afraid it could have ended.

Happy New Year!

4 Likes

Thanks, that does look promising!

3 Likes

Ok, maybe it’s just me but the behavior of the scientists was what bothered me. They tell TPTB once and are mocked. They leak it and everything they reported was confirmed by those they found acceptable. At that point, they didn’t have to keep going back. All the administration would want is someone to use for PR value (or a scapegoat), but anyone could’ve fulfilled that role.

Who would let folks like that suck up the rest of their precious six months? They knew it was highly unlikely that the problem would be solved. In the words of Maya Angelou, “When someone shows you who they are believe them the first time.”

5 Likes

I thought the problem WAS solved, or at least, a solution was almost tried, that of blowing up the asteroid. But then the blowup rockets were brought back, because Zuckermusk wanted to mine the roid’s mineral wealth.

I think Leo’s character was also depicted going back repeatedly to self-serving scumbags as a way to satirize how seductive wealth and fame can be, and how compromising of one’s beliefs and values.

7 Likes

I dunno, i see what you’re saying but to me it kinda tracks with what we’ve seen - scientists being mocked and belittled by administrations yet keep coming back because that’s what they do and have a duty of care to get the truth out. Also, there’s a very believable and depressing trend of misogyny the film taps into with how Kate is treated by getting turned into a screaming harpy meme. And please let us not look to billionaire tech bro children because they DO NOT have the answers.

6 Likes

I did blame them for not mentioning the ETA of the comet on TV, but after that they seemed too much like Chicken Little. It wouldn’t have surprised me if TPTB never informed the public, and just focused on their own escape vehicle with no attempt to destroy the comet. I’ve seen too many examples of selfishness in political and scientific communities to believe otherwise.

Yeah, I used to refer people to Contact for cringe-worthy examples of misogyny at work, but this movie is going on my list! Still, seeing Kate at a new job struck me unbelievable, given the timeline. :woman_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

Which, if you make it all the way through the credits, is exactly what happens. Not however before they try to massively further enrich themselves.

Both sound pretty plausible to me. :grimacing:

6 Likes

Did they not? I have to confess i’m struggling to remember when that comes up in the story.

Oh yeah, watching stuff…

Charming film. Mr. Rogers was never really a thing in the UK but i still found this very moving and Tom Hanks is always great obviously but credit to Matthew Rhys as well.

Like a mix of Duel (certainly the opening scenes) and Mad Max but quirky enough to make me check out episode 2, i appreciated it not being grimdark and having a sense of humour.

8 Likes

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

5 Likes

Watched this yesterday and it was quite a journey.

To address the elephant in the room there was maybe 30 total seconds of JK Rowling on screen and it was all archival footage to provide some minor bits of color (things like how Chris Columbus really got her vision, Daniel Radcliffe was exactly how she saw Harry, etc.) Whether she was truly “snubbed” from this documentary for her continually shitty and dangerous takes, she simply declined, or it was an editorial decision I think it was for the better. This story wasn’t about her - it’s about the talent behind and in front of the camera that through a period of 10 years made 8 very well regarded films. The truth is she didn’t have much to do with the HP films beyond signing off on them, so her presence wasn’t necessary anyway. Good riddance.

In addition to lots of behind the scenes footage and typical “making off” stuff there were a lot of candid and sometimes very emotional talks with those who were actually there.

In one particularly delightful moment, Daniel Radcliffe was chatting with Gary Oldman. Radcliffe told Oldman how Alan Rickman knew Snape’s arc from the very beginning and refused to reveal it to anybody - even director Chris Columbus instead assuring him he’d understand the character’s motivations in time. This revelation had Oldman giggling like a child.

Anyway, I won’t give away anything else except to say if you’re a fan of the movies it’s well worth a watch.

5 Likes

Bbc One Peaky Blinders S5 GIF by BBC

:pensive:

I rewatch it all every couple of years, and it never ceases to amaze me how big it is when they only do six episodes a season. I tend to complain about shows having ten or twelve episode seasons where barely anything seems to get done, and yet Peaky Blinders amazes in six.

Also:

2 Likes

jeebus, i loves Cillian Murphy!
that looks good! will watch

3 Likes

There was a sci-fi series called Seven Days about 20 years ago with dialogue that was grotesquely and unironically sexist

Maybe “realistic” for a military show at that time but I dunno if they could even broadcast it now

4 Likes

I shudder to think about it. I have trouble watching a few scenes in Private Benjamin, a comedy from 1980.

3 Likes

And she actually did a good job, at the time, of showing her comedic/acting chops in making what passed as feminism then.

4 Likes

Just one disaster video after another, with commentary from meteorologists

Nobody gets seriously hurt—I guess those clips don’t make it onto the show

1 Like

Crap. You had to go and tell me Rose McIver was in it. Now I have to watch it. I love the British show - I really hope it’s good.

1 Like