Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Finally got to see this. More movies like this, please!

7 Likes

Apparently Aquaman fans are none-too-pleased. (“How dare you make fun of a fictional character who has all the powers of a fish?”)

7 Likes

He’s my favourite. Well, not really, but he did try to save that lobster.

6 Likes

Reminds me of a Teen Titans Go! episode in which Raven went out on a date with Aqualad that turned really uncomfortable after it turned out her entree had been his friend and mentor.

4 Likes

I’m a cinema junky, I’ve seen countless thousands of films, from the highest-brow classics of the world to the sleeziest trash. As a kid I read everything I could get from the library on filmmaking, rode my bike miles to the cinema every week, and rented everything I could from the Blockbuster. I spent the 90’s hanging out in the projection booth of the local independent cinema, the Tower Video, and the Chinese grocery (renting bootleg Kung Fu VHS). I’m a huge fan of HK films and have followed Michelle Yeoh’s career from the very beginning, she’s one of my very favorite actresses. Hell I even wrote a sci-fi action screenplay for her in 1999!

I have never been so deeply affected by a movie.

This fucking film has divided my life into a before and an after. I mean, yeah I cry at the end of Leon every time, but I usually don’t have to sit through the whole credits of a movie just to regain my composure enough to walk to the car. And I can’t recall ever laughing and crying at the same damn time like in the second half of this fucking masterpiece. And I’ve never before felt like I was a better person from having watched something.

EEAAO is like years of therapy snuck into a two hour Kung Fu Sci-Fi comedy, at least for me. I can see how I was waaay too Jobu and not Waymond enough. I can handle the darkness a little better now.

This is the power of cinema, of story, of art, to make us better, show us how to deal with the chaos, and make the world a better place for everyone. :heart:

11 Likes

I just wrapped up Under the Banner of Heaven, and I have to say I am here for Gil Birmingham’s character spilling the tea all over the place…

The Tea Reaction GIF by Klarna

1 Like

That’s the only thing that bugs me about it. Makes one wonder why they later abandoned it all for the more spartan and utilitarian aesthetic of the original series. They seem to have .lost some technology in the interim as well.

Aside from that, it’s been great, really enjoying it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never fully understood why some fans are so hung up on this aspect or, for instance, reacting so negatively to why the Klingons looked so different when the first film came out. The 60s series looked the way it did because that’s the best they could do with what they had and Roddenberry updated it as budgets increased and the tech got better, it’s just an approximation of the future and never really intended to be taken as canon.

Anyway, i do like the interiors even if engineering doesn’t make a great deal of sense but the exterior shots are spectacular.

2 Likes

So I take it you are not interested in my monograph on the reasons why the Federation explored more planets looking vaguely like papier-mâché in the 2260s than ever before or after?

7 Likes

Star Trek Wow GIF

I’d probably subscribe to that!

3 Likes

In other news, I am an idiot because I never put two and two together and realized that the show is set as close to exactly 300 years into the future as practical.

I understand why the differences exist and it doesn’t bother me all that much, it’s just kind of ‘there’, you know?

As I said, I’m enjoying it just fine and the ship does look nice. I might have been hoping for a bit more of a steampunk kind of vibe. :slight_smile:

Edit: Lol, shortly after I posted this Star Trek: The Motion Picture started playing on my local Sbi-fi channel. Altered Klingons and all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t realise there were three episodes up, I expected just one so I accidentally-on-purpose binged all three.

Disgusting and hilarious, sometimes at once!

Karl Urban is very good at swearing, isn’t he?

8 Likes

Especially when they pulled off the internet’s Thanos solution.

2 Likes

Pretty good, and Daisy May Cooper is one of the best parts of the show. I loved her in This Country.

Spoiler: “The second one.” (episode 3)

Tv Land Lol GIF by nobodies.

I don’t think the rest of us even know—you’d be the expert on whether his accent is convincing

He’s definitely very good at being angry all the time like a Frank Miller character :angry:

3 Likes

It’s a bit blurry between East End London and Essex at times but the word choice is spot on, there’s no dropping a clanger like having some Dickensian Yorkshireman saying “luvvly jubbly.”

3 Likes

Looks like it’s time for another reminder about that other sci-fi show starring Karl Urban

I think there were issues with the episodes being aired out of order, so watch out for that if it’s something that’s bothersome

2 Likes

I liked Lili Taylor in that show, too. Watched her perform in the weird Amazon sci-fi series Outer Range last month, and hope another season is coming:

2 Likes

The Last Man. At first I tiought it was a french animated series about boxing, corruption and bad cops. But there was something lurking beneath the cliché waters. It slowly, little by little turned into a kind of eldricht cosmic body horror cartoon.

1 Like