Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Not sure how I feel about this.

1 Like

Ant Man unique powers could defeat Thanos as an insiste job…

Howard was a preening prat who did some very shitty things, although i note that they went to some effort in this first half of the series to try and build some sympathy with his disintegrating marriage and personal life. But i’m with @Brainspore here, he was well down on the list of the ABI. So yeah, fuck Howard indeed but we both agree he didn’t deserve being murdered.

1 Like

I fully agree with your entire second paragraph.

That’s what I’m expecting as well, but who knows?

I do agree that no one “deserves” what happened to him in the end.

Still, it was very ironic considering the self righteous speech he had just given about “evil sociopaths…” and then he immediately found out what that really meant.

4 Likes

What was that about Mike telling Jimmy that Kim is now “in the game” back during last season’s Bagman? Howard found himself in a game he had no idea existed and at the worst possible moment, much like poor old Fred from Travelwire. :frowning_face:

Fred from Travelwire

Not really a fair comparison, IMO; as poor Fred was just working his usual shift, and had no choice about his initial encounters with Mike or Lalo.

Meanwhile, Howard actively chose to go confront Kim and Jimmy, when he could have just left it the fuck alone for once.

3 Likes

But did Howard know Jimmy was mixed up with the cartel? I didn’t think so but i may be forgetting something.

2 Likes

Okay, it seems The Man Who Fell to Earth has a very tenable connection to the original film at best, but it’s still an exciting and fun show to watch. I’d say more like Brother From Another Planet meets Starman.

And it’s got Chiwetel Ojiofor, Naomi Harris, Clarke Peters (I loved him so much in Treme), Kate Mulgrew, etc.

6 Likes

The last few episodes of The Boys sure have been depressing. It delivers as always on exploding bodies but all the characters are becoming the worst version of themselves. Especially Hughie, who I never liked much in the first place. As much as the show tends to portray him as a sympathetic sensitive type he’s a power-hungry asshole who demonstrated very early in the show that he’s willing to murder a super in cold blood without remorse, is a jealous boyfriend, happily works with lots of different serial killers to advance his interests, and is encouraging his girlfriend to do “whatever it takes” including dating Homelander in order to remain in The Seven. I don’t know how the comic deals with this but I just hope that the show makes it clear to everyone that he ain’t the hero.

2 Likes

It seems like he would have at least heard about it; remember the way everyone at the courthouse treated Jimmy like a pariah once it came to light who Lalo really was?

Lawyers and paralegals gossip just as much as any other industry.

Regardless, Howard just couldn’t let it go that he’d been bested; had he just walked away, he would have been fine.

2 Likes

I think that the show is making a case that there really are no heroes, at least not within the narrative of the show.

3 Likes

I’m worried that the show runners are just going for “how much can we get away with” at the expense of the story.

Though Homelander has gotten even more terrifying very well. It’ll be interesting to see what happens after last episode’s reveal about Soldier Boy & what that could mean for HL.

5 Likes

They’ve really been doubling down on the Homelander/MAGA crowd connections this season. They even did the patronizing “Trump Vought Tower makes the best taco bowls!” thing.

8 Likes

I know that there’s not much point in delving into the physics of superheroes, but in a recent episode Homelander was berating A-Train for drinking a milkshake, and A-Train’s response was that he needed 30,000 calories per day to do his super speed. So that implies that powers take calories (conservation of energy and all that) but doesn’t explain how Homelander does his stuff without having to eat even more.

3 Likes

I took that as how powers manifest themselves in different people, because some only have one ability. A super athlete needs a super-sized diet. :woman_shrugging:t4: Homelander seems to be fueled by anger or toxic impulses. :grimacing:

6 Likes

I guess they’re playing by DC universe rules; certain incarnations of the Flash require a superhuman level of caloric intake to maintain his metabolism while Superman draws his strength from the sun.

2 Likes

Decided to try out First Kill on Netflix after reading this:

It’s set in Savannah, which looks great. After one episode, I’ll be watching more to see where this goes…
:popcorn:

7 Likes

Oh! And it’s set in Savannah? Yay!

My favorite bit of Savannah trivia is that one time This Old House did a season there, around the time that Midnight in the garden of good and evil was trending, and they interviewed the Lady Chablis, who was a part of the story (and ended up in the movie, too).

Also, I love Princess Weekes! She rocks!

7 Likes

Black heroine, fighting monsters?

Count me in!

She’s a real person?

Fabulous!

6 Likes

Oh hell yeah! She was doing drag from about the 70s on in ATL and then became big in Savannah in the 80s…

midnight-garden-good-evil-lady-chablis

She unfortunately passed away not too long ago (2016). She’s missed…

lady-chablis

7 Likes