Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

I meant to highlight this in your post but it really is! It looks incredible and i had to immediately rewatch that montage bit with the James Baldwin sample while being shown Norman Rockwell style scenes of segregation and unemployment.

2 Likes

That was a deeply powerful scene, as was the one with the slow race against sundown.

3 Likes

Finished this now and it’s superb actually, i didn’t get along with season 1 but i loved the 2nd and maybe it’s because the character development was stronger when everyone seemed to be given something to do rather than being superfluous. I’ll still shout the praises for the actor who plays Five though, he does a masterful job at playing someone older in a young body. Also they really committed to the themes of being in a dysfunctional family moreso in this season - Emmet Asher-Perrin wrote a great article on this over at tor.

4 Likes

Absolutely; S2 was much better than S1, with a faster pace, a tighter focus and a less meandering narrative (especially where the Commission is concerned - they wasted way too much time last season on Hazel & Cha-Cha, IMO.)

5 Likes

The music has been mentioned before but let’s mention it again! The plot certainly was less meandering regarding the commission but honestly i was more into the familial story and i felt that characters like Allison, Ben and Diego in the first season just weren’t given anything interesting to do but this time they all had their spotlight.

4 Likes

Whoever selects the music for this show was on point, in both seasons.

I concur.

4 Likes

I re-watched it last night and enjoyed it even more. Some of the cinematic moments are just so sweet.

I have the book on a shelf waiting to be read. Maybe I will watch season 2 after I get around to reading the book.

I love it when she books it out from the back of the restaurant and takes full charge of the situation. That’s the first we get a glimmer of her awesomeness and then the quote above makes sure everyone is on board.

There were several scenes like this in this episode that I had to re-watch to take it all in. I’m sure I still missed much.

I loved season 1 but season 2 did everything better. :heart:

3 Likes
6 Likes

Putting aside the conclusion, the scene where the Peter Capaldi character takes his family upstairs just about broke me.

5 Likes

Right? That’s a tough one. That and Jack using his own grandson to finish of the 456… the look his daughter gives him. But it’s very 2020 of a show, just one bad thing after another… the only bright spot is the part where Ianto rescues Jack with the bucket loader thingie. That’s pure awesome.

3 Likes

By the way, HBO have put the first episode of Lovecraft Country on youtube.

ETA: If you don’t have a google account like me then just watch the embed because it skips the sign-in requirement. Putting it in its own tab works best i think, stops the bbs from refreshing it and stopping playback if someone posts a reply or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/za8PP4xLHdQ

6 Likes

Trapped (amazon prime, Icelandic) is excellent. And led to me discovering the old norse poem “Sonatorrek”, which is fantastic.

3 Likes

I just binged the entire first half of Lucifer season 5;

8 Likes

I’ll have to wait to watch the TV adaptation of Lovecraft Country since I don’t have HBO, but there’s a great part in the book when an antagonist threatens some of the main characters with spooky retribution and their response is to laugh it off saying (paraphrasing) “You dummy—we’re Black people living in the United States of America. That’s our daily existence.

6 Likes

“Presumed dead after sacrificing himself to divert an improbably large airplane filled with city-destroying superweapons created by a rogue faction of the German military, American hero Captain Steve _____ miraculously reappears 60-something years later without having aged a day.”

steve

7 Likes

I am envious, I haven’t caught up yet. Was it as good as it sounds?

5 Likes

Hm, the description reminds me of a Kafka tale, in the veins of “In der Strafkolonie”. I’ll keep an eye open for it.

It’s well worth the watch. Johnny Depp is… well, Johnny Depp which kinda works in this. Mark Rylance is one of my favorite actors though, and is pretty stunning.

First ep is up on YouTube, posted by HBO.

It was decent, though I thought I was watching the final season… not realizing they’ve already secured a sixth season.

It opens with a familiar character whom we’ve come to know fondly:

3 Likes

Definitely seconded.