Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

7 Likes

and @politeruin

What I am really liking about it, and that I had forgotten, is that Sandman isn’t really about Morpheus, it is instead a study on what it is to be human.

7 Likes

I had to pull this quote out because i really like it.

And in fact, I feel in this sort of weird world in which sometimes I feel like people are fragmenting and forming into smaller and smaller groups and closing ranks and regarding anybody on the other side as the enemy, that people need to be reminded that standing next to them is somebody who contains a thousand worlds and every world is a door and through every door is somewhere that you’ve never dreamed of. And people are cooler under the surface than you would ever imagine. And I wanted to remind people of that.

Precisely. That’s what Gaiman was aiming for as per the quote above and i think they’ve nailed it.

9 Likes

I promise I read the article after I wrote that :rofl:

From now on I will be telling it as if Neil agreed with me

It is a wonderful sentiment, though, and I wholeheartedly agree. We have more similarities than differences and they should be shared and nurtured and celebrated, because to me that is how, and why, love exists.

6 Likes

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

I believe you! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Episode 1 Premiere GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

5 Likes

Haters gonna hate.

All the weirdos I know seem to love it, especially hardcore fans who have been waiting for eons to see it on screen…

4 Likes

So far, I am happy with it.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Sandman “The Sound of Her Wings”

A finer hour of television you rarely get to see, talk about light following darkness. If the first 20 minutes was an indication this was going to be sublime episode then the rest confirmed it, this is the episode that does genuinely feel like Sandman. Superb.

Better Call Saul “Waterworks”.

Kim! :cry:

6 Likes

As far as the comic goes, Gaiman has said that that issue was the one where he finally hit his stride with the comic.

2 Likes

I can well believe that, it’s my understanding that Preludes & Nocturnes was difficult to do because they hadn’t worked on a series before and people came and went so hitting his stride further along makes sense with The Sound of Her Wings showing the promise of what the series would become. To show such humanity from death takes great skill as a writer i’m sure, we’re just seeing the effortless results! I’m very pleased it’s translated so well to screen, in my opinion anyway.

I also think it was a smart move to combine this with Men of Good Fortune.

3 Likes

^^^this.
my favorite ep (so far). damn if i didn’t hit the hankie more than a few times. incredible!

7 Likes

Just finished Sandman, glad it’s already been greenlit for S2.

Least favorite ep; even though it is important to the narrative.

Much needed after the preceding ep. Death is by far the kindest and most compassionate of The Endless, just as she is in the source material.

She’d still been holding it all in, after all this time. Never saw that coming, and one of the fan predictions could still come to pass.

(All of three mine have been spot on thus far, and now I have none left; I don’t know what to expect next week.)

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say i enjoyed it but it shows the makers are not fucking about and i do think it had to be in there. If memory serves, the comic was way more needlessly violent.

Such a ballsy move to write Death as a compassionate and humane presence and i wonder if that was a relatively new concept when these were published.

I couldn’t quite believe i was watching the same Kim we had gotten to know. Which fan prediction are you referring to? I’ve seen a few.

1 Like

Excited Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

5 Likes

Nope, See “On Borrowed Time” a 1939 Lionel Barrymore film where he protects his grandson by trapping Death in an apple tree, stopping all death in the world. This is a retelling of a greek myth and is similar to Morpheus getting trapped. There is no way Gaiman wasn’t familiar with the myth and movie. Death was also compassionate and necessary in the film.

3 Likes

Of course not, The Sandman is chock full of those stories.

3 Likes

Exactly, Gaiman is a master of telling and retelling myths.
Wish he could wrestle the rights to American Gods back.

2 Likes