What's behind RRR's importance?

I thought it more-or-less was used to mean precisely that, on the same sort of level that you don’t say “This isn’t a Hollywood movie: it was filmed in New York!”.

I’m neither Indian nor really au fait with Indian cinema, so I could well be wrong.

1 Like

A Hollywood movie shot in New York (or in Bratislava for that matter) is still made by the same studios than one shot in LA. It’s the studio’s location that defines Hollywood
Tollywood movies (or indeed the movies of Tamil Kollywood, or any of the smaller production centres) are shot by different studios in a different language than Bollywood movies. I’m not sure there’s even a significant overlap of actors between them. I think the American equivalent would be more to call every prestige TV show an HBO show, even if it was produced by Netflix or Amazon.

4 Likes

RRR is on my shortlist, or perhaps I should say longlist.

Amar Akbar Anthony remains my favorite Bollywood flick, though.

I suppose the general term would be Indian rather than Bollywood, but Bollywood already comes with a certain amount of pizzazz as a descriptor for those that aren’t familiar with the stuff coming from India. Though as you say, there are several regions making content and movies.

Now I’m REALLY confused because until a minute ago I thought of of Tamil films and as being Tollywood but apparently Tollywood is used to refer to Telagu cinema OR Bengali cinema (due to the Bengali studios being in Tollygunge) and Tamil cinema is called actually called ‘Kollywood’ because, I guess, Kodambakkam?

So yeah, let’s just stick with ‘Indian’ if that’s what we mean.

My personal favorite was the shot that didn’t go quite long enough until the hero propelled his arrow the last eight inches or so by kicking it the rest of the way through a tree into some hapless soldier’s skull.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.