What's it like to eat the daily rations of a Dungeons & Dragons adventurer?

Originally published at: What's it like to eat the daily rations of a Dungeons & Dragons adventurer? | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I wonder what his roommates thought.

1 Like

I was assuming this was about the monsters surviving on their diet of adventurers.

13 Likes

I was hoping that he had the recipe for lembas bread.

16 Likes

Cheetos, pizza and Pepsi?

12 Likes

When I follow the recipe for focaccia, I end up making lembas instead.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

14 Likes

No lembas, only cram.

15 Likes

This was cool. Seems like a very early-post ice age diet for travelers.
I thought the sodium would be way higher, but actually came in relatively healthy, compared to a lot of modern USAian diets.
Only thing I’d do differently if I were partaking in the same experiment is make some of the jerky and hard tack into a kind of stew, I think.
I’ve still got all mine, but this diet would be difficult for someone with missing or damaged teeth.

11 Likes

Perils of the Pitiless Citadel (NSFW)

10 Likes

Way too many carbs!

8 Likes

Oh boy. You are right though - when I am snacking I am basically a gelatinous cube

11 Likes

Growing up, my Mom would make something similar to this using boxed Danish Dessert, but I always spelled it “cram” in my head. The Hobbit threw me off, because cram was supposed to be sweet/tart and delicious.

Probably still correct in this case!

9 Likes

In the “wild” where there are good sources of water, that would be the best way to do it. I wonder about the availability of fresh water in dungeons, though. It might be prohibitively scarce to make stews. Then again, purifying questionable water by boiling it then making a stew with it might make terrible-tasting water palatable.

Season 5 Reaction GIF by Outlander

6 Likes

Always bring a cleric.
https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/create-or-destroy-water

14 Likes

It seems a reasonable, basic adventurer’s diet but after a week of that I predict they’ll poop like an absolute hero.

13 Likes

I always worry about depending on the cleric in case of the Saving Private Ryan scenario, where the cleric in the squad is the first one to get gakked.

7 Likes

A lot of people (and monsters) forget that they are actually open containers of water

7 Likes

6 Likes

Well, liquids, anyways. Need an alchemist to really strain the bits out.

13 Likes

That reminds me. I need to give one of my emergency meal “breakfast skillet” a taste test. Better to know what I’m in for if I need it.

16 Likes