What's it like to eat the daily rations of a Dungeons & Dragons adventurer?

If you really need to eat it, it won’t matter :wink:

13 Likes

Yeah. But if I can have something that tastes okay- it’s a real plus.

I mean - It has to be better than Soylent.

8 Likes

ezgif-1-98eb51afd3

19 Likes

“Shopkeeper, I need a filter.”
“A philtre?”
“Nope!”

12 Likes

And not a moment before!

7 Likes

D4 damage :grimacing:

9 Likes

Like I said earlier, always bring a cleric.

6 Likes

I did notice he seemed to add dried apricots to the mix on day 2.
Wise move. Smooth move.

10 Likes

:smirk:

8 Likes

The dwarf bread was brought out for inspection. But it was miraculous, the dwarf bread. No one ever went hungry when they had some dwarf bread to avoid. You only had to look at it for a moment, and instantly you could think of dozens of things you’d rather eat. You’re boots, for example. Mountains. Raw sheep. Your own foot.

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett

Apparently there is some difference between ship’s bisket and hardtack.

(I notice he fades out just as he’s biting it at the end. That’s sus!)

16 Likes

max-hardtack

9 Likes

Pilot bread is definitely different. Like an unsalted cracker. Stores forever- big in Alaska. Leave it in a cabin & good for years.

14 Likes

My Dad always had hardtack in the house, but I don’t know what brand it was. The “loaves” were maybe 8-10 inches in diameter, with a hole in the middle. They were darker than most crackers, I think they probably had a high whole wheat or rye content. We ate it buttered like a normal piece of bread. 5 out of 10.

10 Likes

Well, you need water (from whatever source) every day, so some of the water you’d be otherwise drinking would instead be consumed in the form of stew, basically. (And “water” here includes low-alcohol drinks that would be part of rations, too.)

For sure. But using water for cooking is pretty lossy, and water is heavy to carry. If you don’t know whether you’ll have consistent water sources, it’s better to save all of your water for drinking.

3 Likes

… the cleric can’t just “bless” it?

4 Likes

Sort of, the cleric can make water potable or food edible with this:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/purify-food-and-drink

But that’s burning a 1st level spell slot. Wizards can use a cast-all-day cantrip to make things taste better:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/prestidigitation

Or they can make things taste worse. Or do all sorts of other fun and interesting things. It’s one of those imagination-is-the-limit spells that makes tabletop rpg’s shine in a way that computer games can’t, and likely won’t ever, match.

4 Likes

ok, it’s a fictional game. it doesn’t have to all pan out in a factual way.

1 Like

Modern production and packaging. If ship’s biskets were immediately wrapped and sealed in wax paper rather than dumped into dubious barrels, I think they’d be less likely to spontaneously generate weevils and worms.

2 Likes

For a lot of people, making it as realistic as possible is part of the fun- the sort of nerds who try to figure out how much a dragon would actually weigh and how it could fly, and what evolutionary adaptations could realistically allow it to breathe fire or acid. I’ve been reading old issues of Dragon magazine and I see tons of articles that are attempts to make aspects of the game more realistic, whether it’s physics, biology, politics, logistics or the way NPCs behave and react to things. Because, unbelievable as it may seem now, D&D was once a game almost exclusively for nerds.

Not that I’m trying to be a gatekeeper- one of the beautiful things about the game is that it can be whatever you want it to be. You can nerd out about exactly how many calories your characters need to get to the next town alive, and how much a sprained ankle will slow them down and how long it will take to heal… or you can ignore carry weight and food requirements completely and treat your characters as completely healthy and fully capable of wild acrobatics until the second they drop dead. There’s no shame in obsessing over the details or in ignoring them, as long as your group shares the same priorities.

10 Likes