What's new in tabletop gaming (February 2019 edition)

Did you ever try the Badlands scenario? http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/scenarios/badlands.html

1 Like

No, but I always wanted to. I THINK Necromancer was the first SJ Games title I bought. Then OGRE, then Battlesuit. Bought them all at my local Arlington, VA hobby shop, Arlington Hobby Crafters. They had a little display stand of Steve Jackson bagged and pocket boxed titles and a modest collection of Avalon Hill, SPI, and TSR titles in the back of the store.

2 Likes

Ogre & GEV first, Car Wars and its expansions and I cant remember how many other pocket games. One I remember enjoying was Ice War from Metagaming

Cant remember the name of the place I went as a kid, was in a L shaped strip mall in north Dallas up near Richardson, right in the corner. I’m sure with 5 minutes on google maps I could find the location but something tells me that after ~40 years the shop isnt there any more.

Slightly off topic but some Boingers will relate, that stip mall was catty corner across the big intersection to where Bill’s Records was. That particular stip mall also had a dollar movie theater and an army navy surplus shop (back when those things were weird and fun). One of the first computer stores was also in yet another strip mall on that intersection. Needless to say I spent a l lot of free time in that area as a kid!

1 Like

Just got Raccoon Tycoon, a Kickstarted game, which looks very cute. It’s just a resource management sort of game so hasn’t been at the top of my list to play quite yet.

Finally got a copy of the long-out-of-print Root, and gave it a few plays so far. It’s an asymmetrical game where each faction (imperial birds, cat rulers, vagabond raccoons, guerrilla mice) has their own goals and play style. The art is adorable and the game is complex and nicely balanced, but fair warning, my friends and I are fairly experienced gamers and we were still constantly referring to the rulebooks and the Board Game Geek forums over and over again for clarifications during our first two games.

By far the most fun and most beautiful game I’ve gotten ahold of recently, though, is Everdell. It’s a ‘worker placement’ sort of game where you’re gathering twigs and berries and rocks to build your town filled with critters and constructions. Sounds cutesy, but it’s just charming and lovely, and the art is stunning. I mean, look at this board:

1 Like

I recently heard about http://www.lamemage.com/ and bought their game “Microscope”, which seems super cool (though I haven’t played yet). It’s a collaborative role-playing game where you work with the other players to generate an epic history. Their other games are similar 2-5 players collaborative and pretty conceptual RPGs. Definitely check them out for your article!

2 Likes

Microscope is really a brilliant storytelling system. Besides the rules, all you need are a stack of 3x5 cards and some markers. I’ve played it with several groups of people, and it’s really amazing watching ideas and stories spontaneously emerge through the roleplay sessions. I know people who’ve adapted it as a brainstorming tool for corporate meetings as well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.