What's new in tabletop gaming

Originally published at: What's new in tabletop gaming | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Lilo And Stitch Laughing GIF

10 Likes

Awesome post (as usual). Playing Frostgrave and D&D right now. Seriously thinking of Space Weirdos as Uncle Atom @ Tabletop Minions has done a couple of videos on it. “Miniatures-agnostic” games have been around for a while but 3D printing has really expanded the fun. “My Space Weirdo Warband is made up of Mutated Ferrets” is finally a thing.

Ajit George, Project Lead for Radiant Citadel was recently on the “What Would The Smart Party Do” podcast and it is well worth checking out. This is definitly my next WoTC purchase

2 Likes

That cover to Frostgrave: Fireheart is excellent. I like how the Wizard and her automata are supporting each other. The Space Weirdos cover is another kind of excellent; definitely old school fun.

2 Likes

I had this exact experience when my nephew was five, a few years ago. I excitedly bought him Mouse Trap, a game I had wanted so badly at this age but had to play at friends’ houses (usually with pieces missing). Like you, I was also pleasantly surprised at how fun the game itself actually is. We had a great time playing it, as well as setting off the machine over and over as one inevitably does.

It’s nice when classics are classics for a reason. When he got older, I gave it to some neighbourhood kids, still in mint condition. I hope they had fun.

4 Likes

The first time I read about any Indian Gods in any depth beyond knowing their names was when I got the original Deities & Demigods as a kid when I was about 10. Even while I remain (mostly) devoted to my own faith, as odd as it seems, just reading through other mythos addressed seriously in the D&D-universe probably did more for my lifelong view of other people’s faiths – acceptance that other people approached their own different religion in likely the same way I did: sincerely, with the hope they (like I) had it right – than anything I learned in CCD.

I trust there will be a lot of kids who – at just the right age – get this supplement and start reading about other religions and cultures and take to heart that whatever your own view of religion, other people are trying just as hard as you to get it right and are owed the respect you’d hope you yourself would receive.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing Northgard, the board game (based on the video game of the same name). It’s a tight 4x game of Viking conquest for 2-5 players that plays in 90-120 minutes. Excellent all around.

1 Like

So psyched you posted Space Weirdos! Casey (the author) has run it for our public game group and at Con of the North. I’ve played it a few times now and it’s just so much fun. You hit the nail on the head–just enough crunch, but doesn’t over do it!

1 Like

Back in the Day, 1978-1980 or thereabouts, I played in a minis campaign using the “Star Guard” Sci-Fi skirmish rules. The background was a wonderful mish-mosh of Heinlein, Dickson, and other SF authors. There were the heroic Star Gaurd marines, the Rep-Com mercenary/police troops, rebel Ameron, lizardy Ralnai, and the hive-mind Dreenoi. Any many others! And eventually, lots of robots.

It worked best with small unit tactics. Maybe a dozen on each side.

Last I heard, the miniatures design for the game was still producing the rule book and minis. Also papercraft buildings.

I have a couple of milk crates of minis and terrain for the game.

I’m a Pinnacle fanboy, and today they launched a new game (using their Savage Worlds system) called Legend of Ghost Mountain. Here’s the pitch:

Ghost Mountain is a sacred site containing a physical gate to the world of the afterlife, and the Ghost Wardens who reside there are dedicated to making sure the souls of the dead pass peacefully through to the afterlife. But something has gone wrong. The dead rebel in unprecedented numbers and commit atrocities against the living. Only the Ghost Wardens can set things right. This is the story of those heroes as their trials and deeds become legend.

The Ghost Wardens draw magical power from strong emotions. Rage. Fear. Joy. Disgust. Sorrow. Only a handful of candidates pass the harrowing trials to harness these emotions—a process which turns their hair white. Those who succeed are privy to mystical martial-arts techniques. Here the styles aren’t based on the movements of animals, but the feelings that drive human triumphs and tragedies.

2 Likes

Bag’o’Dungeon. I’m waiting until my grandson is old enough to play (he’s six months old - it’ll be a while). I’ve also got a home-made version of Heroquest but no-one to play it with. My wife and I iused to play Scrabble a lot, until I got tired of losing… :roll_eyes: and now she is plugging Carcassonne to all our friends. We did manage to get Grandma to play it a few times, but her dementia is getting worse. She had hopes of interesting her in Connect4 but after I slaughtered her (my wife) in a couple of games, that’s gone off the boil. Grandma is not interested. (In anything.) Life is kind of busy at the moment, what with Grandma and Grandson, so a nice quick game of Chase the Girls is nice and relaxing. It’s a variant of Backgammon that they play in Iceland. The rules are online. It sounds too easy but it’s a great game. We have a few card-based games too. We tried Cards Against Humanity and hated it - gave it away. We loved The Mind - haven’t managed it with a full deck - yet… I love introducing people to We haven’t Playtested this Theme-based Game which we refer to as Playtest. It’s very quick and very silly and you can play half-a-dozen games in half-an-hour. When my son was in hospital with his Cystic Fibrosis (effectively cured now, by “Triple”) we played Loveletter another nice, quick game and you don’t need to spend time explaining the rules. I like games. Can you tell?

1 Like

I was kind of shocked to find sets of rpg dice at a local dollar store. Maybe I should have leafed through the coloring book piles for source material.

My two faves are still Acquire (I have the serviceable cardboard version) and basically any edition(s) of Dominon. (except when that one friend is playing)

1 Like

My friends and I have been working to get a BattleTech playerbase in Dublin and it’s been going well, we started running monthly meetups in the spring and increased to twice a month in July, usually getting 6-8 newer players every session. Beyond that I’ve been watching the ticker go up slowly on the Leviathans Kickstarter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.