What's the deal with bluecollar workwear fashion?

As was Churchill, although at that point people were calling them “boilersuits” because in the days of steam, people wore them to clean out boilers.

8 Likes

Contemporary fashion began with workwear and uniforms. Before that men’s fashion meant suits.

1 Like

I have some old and NOS “King Gee” and “Hard Yakka” boiler suits that are far more durable than the recent work pants I have bought. I recall Churchill made the boiler suit fashionable too.

4 Likes

The quality of Docs plummeted when they moved all their shipping manufacturing offshore. Haven’t tried them myself, but Solovair - who were the original UK manufacturers of Docs - allegedly manufacture similar boots on the original equipment with much better quality.

5 Likes

Does “shipping” mean manufacturing now?

2 Likes

Gahhh damnit. Good catch.

1 Like

It happened everywhere. Even Engelbert Strauss, which was previously just a company making uncool but very practical workwear in Germany recently did a collection with Metallica.

4 Likes

Haha, exactly. In many parts of the world. You’ll never touch the shovel! Such luxury to get a whole shovel full of dirt at once. :grin:

Maybe add a manual post-hole digger to this list. When learning to use that, I remember thinking, “What? There has to be a better way to do this? This barely works at all and is a huge amount of work for a tiny result?”. My dad informed me that this is how post holes have been dug for a hundred years and I’d best get used to it.

Okay I’ll stop now before this turns into

13 Likes

And LOOK! He’s jumping in it!!

It works as described!

5 Likes

Getting an auger was a good investment, even though it was still manual and needed the occasional breaking bar it was better than the post-hole digger.

3 Likes

Its older than Kanye.

Doc Martin’s, the preferred footwear of '70s British punks were, before being glamorized, prescription orthopedic corrective shoes.

The drain in supply and reflex of higher prices did not benefit those requiring corrective footwear.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Along those lines, IIRC a button-down collar used to indicate sportswear and, technically, isn’t a “dress shirt” and, strictly speaking, should not be worn with a tie. And wingtips aren’t dress shoes, or at least shouldn’t be worn as evening wear. (I can’t remember the last time I put on a suit or a tie (nor for that matter wingtips); it wasn’t for work…)

1 Like

Found this French company that sells the stuff if anyone wants to see more of what it looks like.

2 Likes

When the overseas Docs were introduced it was easy to see the difference. Heft a UK and overseas boot in each hand and feel how much lighter the budget version is.

2 Likes
2 Likes

They still do some manufacture in Northamptonshire. Including some pre-spattered-with-paint-effect.

3 Likes

Which came from uniforms.

It’s always been uniforms - of one kind or another. In

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.