What's the *dumbest* "science" based movie you've ever seen?

Sphere’s another one.

1 Like

That bit is straight out of the Mars Direct proposed missions, in real life where hurricane-force winds aren’t a problem.

The idea is that the crew wouldn’t launch until the return vehicle has signalled that it had produced the fuel needed for the trip home. But they’d also be launching a return vehicle for the next crew at the same time. That way the first crew would have a second return vehicle if something happened to the first one in the mean time.

The second landing site would be closer than in The Martian, making it easier from a crew to transfer from one to the other. The second mission would have access to habs and equipment from the first and third missions in a pinch.

Missions would step their way 100km at a time across Mars this way. Once they decided to colonize, they’d just start sending equipment to the same spot.

2 Likes

Sure. I get that. But if winds are strong enough to knock over the Ares III MRV over in the movie they’re strong enough to knock over the Ares IV MRV, leaving Ares IV in the same problem.
For me it was less “these winds aren’t possible on Mars” it was “the film isn’t consistent enough with its problems.” I get that our version of Mars doesn’t have these atmospheric issues, but theirs does and that version of NASA can’t figure out how to solve it?

1 Like

OT, Andy Weir was invited to speak at a US House Space Subcommittee meeting last week.

Well, there were other inconstancies too.

Like Mark Watney getting emails from his Alma Mater and others, while the Hermes is still in the dark about him being still alive. I get that NASA would keep references to this out of their own mission updates, but if they blocked every reference from personal emails, subscribed journals and newscasts, the crew would notice.

And using Mars Semi-Direct missions, but putting the next landing site too far away for one astronaut to reach without extreme measures, let alone all of them.

2 Likes

The first was a fun b-movie with good acting and special effects. Both the movie and book have real awful plot holes but at least not the same ones.

I still really like The Great Train Robbery but it is a Victorian era heist film so not a lot of science hooey.

4 Likes

I liked the first one, but haven’t seen the sequels. It didn’t help reading about how they were almost ready with a story for the second one… while it was being filmed.

It was my first introduction to the Hollywood process of “Start filming action scenes. We’ll try to tie them together with a story later.”

This explains the last two Star Trek films.

7 Likes

I remember being disappointed it wasn’t about Bruce Reynolds and Ronnie Biggs.

2 Likes

Wanted some Phil Collins?

1 Like

Happy Feet. What it may have done to the minds of its youthful audience – indoctrination not entertainment. But, at least, now we know where Savion Glover stands.

How does that relate to science?

2 Likes

Huh? I have to admit that I’ve only seen bits of this movie, but WTH are you talking about?

2 Likes

It had a global warming theme. At the end, the lead penguin had a monitoring device implanted in his back. It was the size of a walkie talkie and he was still “happy”. They stuck in declining fish population, shrinking habitat. I think they covered all the bases. I freely admit I am a denier.

[quote=“Virginia_Llorca, post:72, topic:78617”]
But, at least, now we know where Savion Glover stands.
[/quote]

You’d prefer he… tap dance around the issue?

18 Likes

Meanwhile, in Antarctica:

16 Likes

You must be fun at parties.

6 Likes

There are some parties where “global warming denialism” is practically a prerequisite.

(And by “some parties” I really just mean the GOP.)

9 Likes

Oh. Got it.:rolling_eyes:

3 Likes

21 Likes

Nothing pisses me off more than underestimating the intelligence of children.

14 Likes