What's the provenance of the stylized S from school?

Oh, wow man. That is undoubtedly the source material but the melody is a little different, the tempo is lowered into a chant, and only one line remains intact. The rest of the lyrics had been perverted, over probably many generations of hilarious and delinquent minds mutated it into the following

Here now are the lyrics as I remember them being belted out by the sweet naïfs of G.P. (girl pioneer), Fishman, Sherruth, and Berman villages (ages 9-12, I think) at the top of their god-damned lungs:

Many a night was spent with Minnie the Mermaid
down at the bottom of the sea.
[AT THE BOTTOM OF THE–]
Underneath the corals
Minnie lost her morals
Oh, but she was good to me.

A man never knows what a good girl he’s got
until he’s got 'er down
[ON THE COT!]
Well you can easily see she’s not my mother
'cause my mother’s past fourty-nine
And you can easily see she’s not my sister
‘cause my sister is so refined
And you can easily see she’s not my sweetheart
‘cause my sweetheart never showed me such a hell of a good time.
She’s just an innocent kid
she didn’t know what she did
she’s a personal friend of mine
[roll over Minnie]
It’s better on the other side
[And there was Granny]
Swingin’ from the outhouse door
[without her nightie]
Grampa’s yellin’ “More, more, more!”
[He’s over ninety]
“Harold cut your toenails, you’re ripping the sheets to shreds!”
[Doo-waaaaah]

I may be forgetting a verse but I think that’s it. I mean, I never really thought about it until later, it seemed innocent enough coming from the mouths of young girls (and i was pretty oblivious as a kid) but for the early eighties, I’m not so sure a song could get radio play with “Roll over, it’s better on the other side,” and getting her down on the cot as a litmus test. I mean, “Like a virgin, touched for the very first time” was scandalous back then, and this song was firmly established camp lore well before all that.

Of course, we were privately telling each other the dirtiest of jokes back then, too, but it just knocks me out that the Minnie song seemed to be officially sanctioned.

5 Likes