What's your favorite myth?

Athena busting her way out of Zeus’ skull was pretty badass.

Raven and (much later) Paul Bunyan are my fave characters from my home continent.

2 Likes

Funny - my children continued to give me splitting headaches long after their births.

2 Likes

ba-dum-tis :smile:

Native American myths have always held my interest.

1 Like

The Myth of Sisyphus
The Great Chain of Being
The Myth of the Great Chain of Being Sisyphus

…Bobba and Brainspore…

Social Security.

And on top of it all Wall-Mart has done away with the role of “Door Greeter” so there goes my plans for retirement.

1 Like

I love the myth of the patriarchy. That one is a doozy!

The one about God and how he created everything. A really good myth has to have a following so I think this one is easily my favorite.

Fog Woman (how we got salmon, the most valuable resource on the West Coast - Tlingit) and Copper Woman, First Mother (Haida). I also love, love Sedna who is not unlike Fog Woman in her tale.

1 Like

Given the individual who created our passwords, it’s difficult to say… possibly both.

1 Like

The truth about the Coyolxauhqui is the moon and the stars dismembered by the sun, that is named Huitzilopochtli when it is in sunrise. Huitzilopochtli means the left-handed hummingbird, that is the sun starting its way to the north in december 21st, the day when Huitzilopochtli is born, that is the sun starting its way towards north. And it is a hummingbird because a hummingbird embodies the power of will. Then, when Coyolxauhqui and the stars feel jelaous of Coatlicue, mother earth (the one with a skirt of snakes), who is pregnant of Huitzilopochtli, he is born and dismember them. Just look at the sunrise, that very moment when the sun rays erase the stars and you’ll understand the leyend or myth. By the way, the moment when Coatlicue gets pregnant of Huitzilopochtli is when a little feather falls from the sky and touches her womb, and voila, there she gets pregnant (does this leyend reminds you about someone very famous that got pregnant in a very similar way, without the intervention of a man? :wink: )

2 Likes

One of my favorites myths is one mayan too, which talks about the Xtabay, an extremely beautiful woman, that solitary men find in the night. She smiles and bewitch them. The unfortunate follows her believing that he will have the time of his life. She guides him to the deeps of the jungle and then she switch her form into a terrible snake form monster and eats him and sucks its energy. The poor man’s body or a part of him is found afterwards (sometimes).

I was using the restroom of a business, and management had taped up a sign reading “Customer Satisfaction is Our Number One Priority.”

Somebody else had scribbled out “Our Number One Priority” and written in “A Myth”.

That’s MY favorite.

Oh, they’re similar alright, but if you want to view it as damning of christianity you should make sure you point out that it has nothing to do with it and is in fact a very common theme among many cultures as are many other tropes.
(Here Huitzilopochtli comes out of his mother’s womb in full armor, ready for war! Which brings to mind one of the stories of the birth of the Buddha)

You mean myth in the sense of tradition I suppose? :smile:

No, my intention was never to view as the damning of christianity or the damning of any other culture. Every culture deserves respect, whether we agree or not. Buddha and Jesus were historical human beings, with great and wonderful stories. Huitzilopochtli more than a myth is the name given to the sun in a very specific time and the name given to the power of will. More than a living being, it is more like a metaphor of the sun. This is more understandable when we read several leyends and myths of the ancient aztecs (mexhicas), toltecs and mayas, which are full of beautiful metaphors. What I was pointing out was the similarity of its creation, and by the way Huitzilopochtli’s birth was celebrated on december 21st while Jesus is celebrated, as we all know, on december 24th (and this date is subject for another kind of post).
On this same point, Coyolxauhqui, that ornated with bells, is a metaphor of the moon, and one of the many names that prehispanic cultures used to name her, as there are a lot of names given to the sun depending on its charactheristics.

The closest thing to comes to mind is the story of the Thunderbirds and the Horned River Monsters, but then I lived quite a while on either the Ohio and the Tennessee Rivers.

I’ve studied mythology for years, from as many different cultures as I can get my hands on material from. I think one of my favorites (and of course I can’t remember which culture it’s from) is that the Earth is held up on the back of a giant turtle. It just makes me smile. I like turtles.

Of course you like that one: it’s turtles all the way down!

2 Likes