When a freight ship loses control of its anchor, bad things happen

It’s almost certainly not the actual metal burning (that would bright out the camera so you couldn’t see anything else). It could be paint on the metal or (I think) the restrictor gear lube.

3 Likes

It’s air. The chain is moving so fast that it’s arcing the air, burning the hydrogen in the water vapor.

#HEAVY Metal

3 Likes

Metal, hell no. However, one of the commenters who sounded like they were clueful offered the following explanation:
Горит ленточный стопор. Он сделан из пресованного материала (композит и дерево). Это расходный материал, который меняют по мере израсходования. Ленточный стопор расчитан на остановку якорной цепи до определенной скорости, но на высокой скорости он с этим справиться не может, не расчитан.

What’s burning is the band brake, which wraps around the anchor chain drum and is intended to stop the unwinding chain. If you exceed its rated speed, it can’t handle the strain. It’s a consumable part, intended to be replaced once it’s worn down, and thus is made of compressed layers of wood and wood composite. Not surprisingly, it can catch fire.

5 Likes

It’s too quiet. I can’t decide if the soundtrack should be the Benny Hill theme, or “Unchained Melody.”

1 Like

Unchained yakkity sax. You’ve lost that loving anchor.

4 Likes

This Wheel’s On Fire.

6 Likes

I’ll have to dig out the video my brother gave me of this happening to a spool of cable, as in, a 20m diameter spool of undersea comms cable.
At first it just starts burning from the axles, but eventually the whole spool comes loose and well, here it is:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.