Watch steelworkers forge enormous steel anchor chains

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/23/watch-steelworkers-forge-enorm.html

3 Likes

Tell me more?

15 Likes
18 Likes

found one or two youtube videos on japanese sword making which quite interesting

2 Likes

Passion.

9 Likes

That is some impressive chain.

Makes the Titanic’s anchor chain seem quite puny in comparison.

7 Likes

Well they only needed to use it once, so…

Boy you watch that video and for a minute you are like, “America, fuck yeah! Detroit steel in the house! Pennsylvania steel forging Innovation!”

Than you are like, “Wait, what? Korea? Uh, never mind…”

6 Likes

Man, those guys must’ve been bummed. Kind of the definition of wasted effort there.

3 Likes

If an anchor is a device used to connect a vessel to the bed of a body of water(as our wiki overlords would have it) the Titanic arguably has one of the more impressive ones in the history of naval architecture.

It’s just that I’m talking about its hull.

10 Likes

Hey! The chain didn’t fail!

9 Likes

I like the engineering montage at the beginning. The chief engineer thoroughly inspects the blueprint: “Yep, that’s shaped an awful lot like the link in a chain! Good job, Mr. Kim! Now scale it up 20x!”

6 Likes

Love that shot of the load testing system and the leftover broken chain. I used to work in the test lab of a ready-mix concrete producer, and we’d take 8" and 12" cylinders of cured concrete and then put them into a press to test their compressive strength. When the cylinders fail they tend to fail with a very loud “POP” and sometimes chunks of the cylinder will fly off, too. Which is why I always kept the whole metal enclosure closed, as the manufacturer recommended. If you watch this to the end, it’ll become clear why we never, ever relied only on the plexiglass window:

EDIT: all of which is to say that strength testing really strong stuff is interesting, especially when the strong stuff fails.

4 Likes

That is all.

9 Likes

I think I might have appreciated it more if it were just straight up about the process, but this was really a marketing video about “a passion for quality”. In any language, that’s tiresome.

4 Likes

That’s a very long gif loop. I must’ve watched it make 3km of chain by now, and it hasn’t repeated yet.

8 Likes

It’s 2,710,752 bytes. I don’t think I have ever seen a gif that big before.

1 Like

All righty then.

2 Likes

There’s this:

Animated IRL and filmed from a satellite.

2 Likes

I think the engineers that make the machines that make the products are so interesting. That’s gotta be a fun job.*

*for a mechanical engineer

1 Like

Meanwhile, here is a welsh blacksmith forging chain by hand. If you know what the Sutton Hoo chain is (which I’m sure many a delightful Boing Boing reader would know), then this blacksmith is forging the entire Sutton Hoo Chain using only hand tools and wrought iron. Enjoy. (This is his latest video on it too. He’s not even half way through the cooking chain yet)

1 Like