A machine making a chain (animated gif)

[Permalink]

Thank you for this. I have wondered about this a lot. Like most things in my life, it was a forehead-slapper.

1 Like

“Random Task, show them what it is you do.”

1 Like

After watching: Ah. That makes entirely too much sense.

(I needed this bit of mechanical meditation last night. Frustrating installation benefits from a reminder that some things are sufficiently polished that they Just Work.)

1 Like

followed by the one that makes chicken wire.

14 Likes

Bending Unit 22’s great, great, great grandmother…
His great, great grandfather shown below:

3 Likes

Well, workers, where are your chains now?

All hail Hypnochain!

5 Likes

I approve this thread and encourage its extension.

If only you could add sound to animated gifs…

The assembly line section of Raymond Scott’s “Powerhouse”

1 Like

I would have come here to say the same thing, but it took me three hours to break free from it.

Bah, embed fail. Here’s a link to video (converted B&W film) of an older, more hands-on approach to chainmaking.

Blacksmiths making chain

1 Like

What about chains where the gap in the link is welded?

1 Like

FAIL. That looks nothing like chickens.

3 Likes

but how does the top pinchy thing know how to rotate the round chainy thing 90°? that there’s just the money shot. it’s the part that we all knew was coming jumped right to it without the buildup and suspense. where’s the rest of the cams and cranks and gears? where’s the drama and story? when will animated gifs finally grow into the art medium they were born to be?

My extensive research (consisting almost entirely of watching youtube videos of chain-making machines) shows that some machines weld the chain as they form it, that other machines exist merely to weld existing chain, and that some chains are made with solder-filled wire that will join the links when heated.

I really really want to see the animated gif that shows what happens without the top pinchy thing rotating the round chainy thing.

I didn’t see where the liquor goes in, in this bending unit.

2 Likes

I love videos of impressive machines like this. Thank you.

I’m going to hope that the method described in that particular patent isn’t much used any more…

" I have discovered that if I construct my hollow tubular body of a silver cadmium alloy, preferably one containing 77 to 99 per cent of silver and 1 to 23 percent of cadmium, it will have a melting point substantially above the flow point of all standard types of silver solders normally employed as the cores"

A for effort, dude, but cadmium alloys for skin-contact applications? SRSLY?

1 Like