When asked about Trump's desire to use military on Americans, Justin Trudeau pauses for 20 seconds

I have seen enough signs/tags that had the same word twice, and in my mind I knew that one was supposed to pronounce them differently because they were in two different languages.

13 Likes

When he said ‘We all’ he kind of nailed it.

The world is watching aghast at what is happening in the 'States right now. But there is huge support for BLM and democracy in general and widespread condemnation of T**** and the other right wing shitheads.

I hope maybe there is some comfort to be taken in that for people who need it.

23 Likes

Ali Khamanei also spoke up:
“A human, for his black skin, has no reassurance to live in society, if indeed, a police officer can beat him to death because of his colored skin,”

9 Likes

Canada.ca is the official federal government domain. All federal government information must be available in both official languages. One leads to the English page, the other the French.

It’s not “performative”. It’s mandated by law.

30 Likes

I appreciate that he paused before answering. 20 seconds is pretty long, but 5-10 seconds is appropriate. Too often we jump on politicians who don’t have an immediate answer for whatever they have been asked. It leads to facile jargon filled non-answers or formulaic bullshit as opposed to something that is thought out.

18 Likes

I hadn’t realized that the video in the source link started on mute and I thought, “Wow, that’s way more than 20 seconds…”

3 Likes

Except that the Canadian military wasn’t called in against Canadians, but to help them, as silly as it was (I was living in Toronto at that time).

6 Likes

In doing so, this was the best possible response – not only diplomatic, but conveying with silence the feeling most people still living in liberal democracies have as they watch the American empire go into such rapid decline: flabbergasted.

24 Likes

April 23, 2020:

8 Likes

As do we all.

16 Likes

A genre I like to watch on youtube are Americans that live here in Germany and talk about their experiences, quite a few of them are Afroamericans and their experiences living here are almost all positive. One quote stock to my mind, it was something like: “My comments say I praise Germany too much, since there is also racism here. That may be true, but here I don´t face the constant danger of getting shot by the police when I leave my house just for the color of my skin.”
I can´t find that video anymore, but that quote horrifies me. I can´t even begin to understand the constant existential fear Afroamericans must feel. It horrifies and infuriates me that a western democracy does this to its own citicens.
So I am with Trudeau here, we all are watching in horror and consternation what’s going on in the United States, also on this side of the Atlantic. We Germans have seen the rise of fascism, we have seen how it can destroy a nation, our nation. So I plea to you, my american friends, do not repeat out past mistakes!

30 Likes

Seeing him try and fail for so long to say anything reminds me of what my grandma used to say, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.”

14 Likes

I don’t want to derail this topic, but I just want to point out that racism in Germany runs a different course than on the US, but is the same shit.

Racism kills people. Everywhere.

And the experience of fascism dies out in Germany.

6 Likes

The sound of airplanes heard in Trudeau’s answer is the machine noise of him changing the subject to something about being a Canadian. Good first part of an answer, however!

The pause and beginning was possibly the start of a historic response. Time and opportunity being what they are, sorry he ran out of gas.

2 Likes

Let me improve Trudeau’s speech:

(20 Seconds silence)

“We all watch in horror and consternation what’s going on in the United States.”

(20 Seconds additional silence)

“Next question?”

5 Likes

I’m a dual US/Can citizen, born and raised in NYC and now in LA. My family is here, I have a pretty good, even sometimes meaningful job here. Whenever I bring up the thought of moving to Canada, my wife points out (reasonably enough) that every single part of Canada is North of Chicago.
On the other hand, my nephew is married to someone who has a farm near Halifax, so I figure we have a bolt hole should worse come to worst.

5 Likes

“racialized-Canadians”?

7 Likes

I took that as the point they were making - contrasting it to what Trump is threatening.

3 Likes

I was born here and I ask myself that every once in a while. The disadvantage of polyamory is if I move, I’m either going to suddenly have a lot of long distance relationships or I have to convince everyone else to move with me. They’d have to get their other partners to move too, else they’re in the same boat, and so on and so on. Guess we may as well stay and fight.

4 Likes