Canada not okay with Trump sending ~1,000 troops to Canada border

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/26/canada-not-okay-with-trump-sen.html

4 Likes

This almost has the feel of the period before they erected the Berlin Wall. Not good.

26 Likes

Does Trump think Canadians are going to try to escape our hellish single payer universal health care system for the opportunity to help shift some actuary tables in the US?

33 Likes

To be fair, the Berlin wall just cut across Berlin… building a wall across the US/Canadian border practically over night probably would not work out.

Also, only a 1000 troops? Trump does realize the US-Canadian border is the longest border on earth, right?

32 Likes

Yeah, I know it’s not feasible. I’m mainly thinking about his thought process that he could prevent determined people from escaping.

15 Likes

But American is the GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH… why would ANY of us want to leave? /s

27 Likes

There is just no fucking way this has anything to do with the virus.

I’m just at a loss on how it makes sense for anything else.

22 Likes

Maybe it has to do with stimulating Canada’s economy over our own? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Several here wondered how long it would be until the Trump administration reached the refusenik stage. Now we know.

10 Likes

Trump does realize the US-Canadian border is the longest border on earth, right?

You’re joking are you not?

I am not too impressed by the move though I suppose it might help keep us from being flooded by refugees from the USA>.

2 Likes

I’ve always believed one should be happy to live in a country that people are trying to sneak into. The way you know you’re fucked is when you find yourself living in a country people are trying to sneak OUT of.

34 Likes

There was also a wall along the full border between East and West Germany, with barbed wire, ditches, guard towers, and mine fields, and a 5 km exclusion zone on the East side that required special permission to be in - albeit somewhat less heavily fortified than the Berlin wall, where an exclusion zone was impossible.

It was about 1400 km long and took 50,000 East German soldiers to patrol it, compared to 1,000 US soldiers along the 9000 km long US-Canada border…

13 Likes

That’s like 1 person per 5+ miles, with some of those needing boats or mountain climbing gear. Yup that will be very effective. /s

9 Likes

To be fair, US soldier will be pointing guns not towards Canada, but back towards the US. Potentially firing on citizens. It’s illegal to actually enforce anything because of the Posse Comitatus Act. Of course when martial law is declared that no longer applies.

The Space Force was created specifically to work around Posse Comitatus Act. It means drone strikes on US citizens is within the legal right of the President. Without the Space Force they had to wait for citizens to be off US soil. Now it’s no different from the US Coast Guard doing a drug bust.

The paranoid part of my brain feels that we’ve been working up to something very specific, and this administration hasn’t simply been a buffoonish spectacle with no consistent agenda.

12 Likes

ahem

6 Likes

Is this Nutsy land so good
Would you leave it if you could
Ja this Nutsy land is good
We would leave it if we could

8 Likes

I’m gonna take stab at it…Spike Jonez, right?

4 Likes

Oh yes, and Walt Disney.

9 Likes

Team America: World Police was not an instruction manual.

Though if you are looking for a good movie to get you through these times, may I suggest Canadian Bacon?

4 Likes

Why am I reminded of a line from Spike Jones’ “Der Fuhrer’s Face”? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWF8iRCan7I

2 Likes