Canada not okay with Trump sending ~1,000 troops to Canada border

Don’t worry, Trumpy will make Canada pay for that wall!

4 Likes

While Canada’s COVID stats are looking good (only by comparison with the US), I would expect this to change fairly quickly.

Our economies are heavily integrated, which means many/most of our medical supplies come from US suppliers. You can be certain that any American company that ships any needed supplies out of the country to Canada will be right in the cross-hairs of the president when he’s looking for scapegoats when things worsen.

We may have had better preparedness initially, but the initial supplies weren’t infinite, and I don’t expect to see resupply any time soon as American needs will remain very high, especially among states that didn’t bother with social distancing.

As a consequence, I suspect things will look quite bleak for Canada. Even after the initial crisis passes, I can’t imagine that Trump won’t insist on rebuilding stockpiles over filling Canadian immediate medical needs. If there’s one thing he’s built his brand upon, it’s America First.

4 Likes

Reminds me of the Twilight Zone “To serve Man” It’s to keep you guys in!

4 Likes

Maybe a group of us should make a break for the border, Decameron/Chaucer’s Tales -style. Who’s with me?

6 Likes

The US-Canada border is basically the Les Nessman of border fences in some places…

21 Likes

Well we do have flowerpots at critical points.

And librarians.

Note Canadian making a break for it.

26 Likes

The lil Canadian has to be careful. Americans throw babies in prisons

19 Likes

:sob:

10 Likes

What?? He wants to use the military to keep people in??
WAT??

5 Likes

I remember TV Nation did a bit about crossing the Canadian US border, even with a sign saying they were looking for work, etc, and no one stopped them.

OH - here - I think that’s the bit here in the beginning:

3 Likes

That was the point where I stopped acting like conservatives have a difference of opinion with me and started declaring they are an evil who must be opposed as a moral obligation.

14 Likes

He’ll go to any lengths to try to keep Melania from Trudeau.

This is one of the saddest things I’ve heard in forever. It was something to be proud of that we were able to share such a huge non militarized border with our neighbors.

19 Likes

Y’know how believable Trump’s border wall with Mexico is, with 2,000 miles to span?

The border with Canada is 4,000 miles. I don’t think there’s going to be a wall anytime soon.

5 Likes

It is all about optics; has nothing at all to do with reality.

3 Likes

So he basically sent 1000 troops out to get beer and weed.

13 Likes

It’s a proof-of-concept exercise. The regime knows that if it retains and consolidates power after 2020 a lot of liberals and progressives will try to flee to Canada, along with young people looking to avoid a re-instated draft and women trying to get access to an abortion.

14 Likes

Yes, I’m too dumb to understand that.

2 Likes

I’m aware… I don’t live along the canadian border, but I understand that the US-Canadian border is relatively porus and unlike the Berlin Wall (which people still managed to breache). I am, after all, an adult American.

:woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Another step toward Gilead.

3 Likes

It is still not nearly as long as the US-Canadian border… remotely.

In case you’re unaware, I’m a Cold War historian, so I promise, you have no need to explain the Berlin Wall or the Division of Germany to me.

15 Likes