When Chell is crushed between two portals, she enters an infinite realm of psychedelic visuals

[Read the post]

3 Likes

I have enjoyed abusing game engines for psychedelic affect. The artefacts in this video are quite amazing.

5 Likes

Not sure if subtle joke, being trolled, or youtube glitch…

Hi Chell Di Filippo

2 Likes

I’d guess it’s purely emergent, as the game engine tries to deal with the fact that the camera is stuck in what’s essentially a two-dimensional space.

2 Likes

This is (actually) Paul Di Filippo, for some reason… It’s the video for The Black Mill Kickstarter.

[Edit: figured out what the video is.]

Reminds me of the ending to 2001.

6 Likes

Always interesting to peek behind the scenes. The music’s cool too.

1 Like

Dammit, you beat me to it.

1 Like

My God, it’s full of stars.

7 Likes

I noticed Portal 2 updated a few days ago. Hmm.

6 Likes

It’s full of starsssssssss (technically 2001.2)

1 Like

9 Likes

“Hey, I can see my nape from there… and the insides too!”

1 Like

7 Likes

I don’t know about the crazy visuals, bit I do know that he had to modify the game to do it, as a moving panel cannot have a portal on it. There are several puzzles/levels where that mechanic is key.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering why no one thought of this until now.

The description on the video explains a bit more about the methodology. Supposedly he only enabled this behavior and everything else was a side effect.

2 Likes

That totally has an Interstellar tesseract vibe to it! Lovely!

1 Like

I don’t know what would be cooler: if this were an emergent property of
the game’s programming, or if the designers hid it in the code and
waited for an adventurous sort to discover it.

Third option: it’s simply fabricated and doesn’t represent what the game engine does at all. I could be wrong but that seems a more likely explanation than emergent behavior or complicated easter eggs.

Let’s remember that as a video game character, Chell can survive this sort of treatment and keep going. But she’s a trained expert, don’t try this yourself!

1 Like