When depressed people are rewarded, their pupils don't dilate as much as non-depressed people's

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/02/when-depressed-people-are-rewarded-their-pupils-dont-dilate-as-much-as-non-depressed-peoples.html

1 Like

You mean someone with depression has brain chemistry that supresses the enjoyment of “good” things?!! :fry shocked.gif:

Tell me more about my brain chemistry, neurotypicals!

7 Likes

Ugh, a reward? I know this is going to bite me in the ass later.

13 Likes

THC rewards my pupils mightily.

2 Likes

I think it’s like blowing up a balloon. Your breathe will blow, but helium is better. Elation deflation.

It’s because we’re not excited. Just temporarily relieved that something worse didn’t happen.

14 Likes

So if I can just get my pupils to dilate more it would lessen my depression?

3 Likes

I’m not saying neuropsychiatry is a grift or anything, but is there a reason they needed to put people in a multi-million-dollar fMRI suite to measure their pupils?

2 Likes

I guess the idea is they could use this for diagnosis?

1 Like

And so the vampire cult of the depressed dilated was born. They came out in the evenings still wearing their sunglasses but the science told them they were happy.

I’m guessing it’s a first step in sussing out differences in brain function that might be used for diagnosis and treatment. Lots of ‘obvious’ knowledge don’t have any actual data to back it up, so when scientists want to look closer they have to start from scratch.

7 Likes

Acid does it better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, it would certainly make the world brighter.

1 Like

I won $150 yesterday in a work drawing. I was very “meh” about it. Diagnosis or burnout or both?

1 Like

How could they see their pupils?
-eyeroll-

Would have been easier to say if you phrased the money as a % of your paycheck.

2 Likes

I’m so tired of those depressed people and their non-dilating eyeballs. They should stop the pity party, just get over it, and dilate their eyeballs like the rest of us

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.