When Parliament-Funkadelic took a wrong turn and ended up on 'Night of the Living Dead' set

Originally published at: When Parliament-Funkadelic took a wrong turn and ended up on 'Night of the Living Dead' set | Boing Boing

1 Like

Back in the day me and my friends stumbled into some weird situations while tripping, but nothing like that.

3 Likes

I want an entire animated series of PFunk solving spooky mysteries Scooby Doo style.

7 Likes

Tales from the Tour Bus was a brilliant and hilarious show. I sure hope Mike Judge will do more seasons in the future!!

5 Likes

I wonder how common this is? I’ve never been to a P-Funk concert where they showed up on time. Same thing happened when I went to see the Guess Who, and also Three Dog Night. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

That would be a pretty freaky thing to experience when you were tripping - although I suppose in the '60s, it would have read quite a bit differently, because that was the movie that created that whole “zombie” mythology in the first place. Now he characterizes it as “zombies” but at the time, it must have been more “why are all these extremely white people staggering around, looking injured? WTF is going on?”

3 Likes

There was zombie mythology (and movies) before that, they were just all of the voodoo variety. The very first zombie movie is generally considered to be “White Zombie” released in 1932.

7 Likes

There is no Billy ‘Bates’ in Funkadelic. The person you are referring to is Billy “Bass” Nelson, original P-Funk bassist and originator of the name ‘Funkadelic’. He is also a member of the R&R HoF.
Again, that’s Billy ‘Bass’ – not Billy Bates. :man_facepalming:t5:

7 Likes

Yeah, and there were a few movies that sort of bridged the gap between (US notions of) “Voodoo” zombies (blank-faced people without will) and Romero “zombies” (murderous, undead ghouls) but the modern “zombie” iconography/mythology came out of those Romero movies and didn’t exist before then.

(West African/Haitian folklore, the introduction of the concept of “zombie” to the US popular culture after the 1915-34 US occupation of Haiti, and the evolution of the term into its current, popular, post-Romero usage in the US just happen to be overlapping areas of interest for me…)

3 Likes

“…were tripping balls on LSD…”

I would think LSD trips would conjure up images of even greater weirdness. Are they sure they didn’t just imagine this? :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for catching this. I’ve asked that the name be corrected in the post.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.