“When you are done, press the octothorpe key”. What do you call the # glyph?

Do I detect someone who grew up on a healthy diet of BBC BASIC?

2 Likes

Eh, as for geekiness, I cannot help but reading ! as “store” in my mind due to my Forth roots.

2 Likes

Heard it referred to as a “bang” loads of times, but it only just registered that it’s the “bang” in interrobang.

8 Likes

Sometimes “shebang”, as that’s an existing word.

I called it “sharp” when I was a kid, as I first saw it in music notation. Then “hash” when I started programming. The language C# is of course pronounced “C-sharp.”

9 Likes

The interrobang has to be my favorite non-standard punctuation mark.

4 Likes

May I intro-friggin’-duce you to one of my favorites, “tmesis”?

6 Likes

What do you call the # glyph?

“Jogo da Velha”, the Tic-tac-toe game.

5 Likes

Then call them ‘poundtags’? /s

And yes

And there was me thinking it was “Chash” :wink:

2 Likes

But we may not know that # was an abbreviation of lb, “pound by weight” in Latin, or this symbol’s name is also octothorpe.

In colonial British and Spanish documents (perhaps other, but those are the ones I know) people writing “pound by weight” definitely scribbled something resembling the #.

1 Like

Programmers call it “bang” as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Correct! But pronounced “shuhbang” by everyone I’ve heard it from. “Oh, you have a space in your shuhbang and you may need to chuhmod your file.” (For the Unix-y #! and chmod)

And I appreciate that Discourse is holding these posts for Mod review, I assume for the scripty contents that may be an injection attack. Phoneticizing commands must look dangerous, like summoning an Old One.

sudo /sbin/phnglui --mglwnafh | cthulhu :computer: :octopus:

6 Likes

In Dutch, ‘#’ is ‘hekje’, a “little fence”. Italian, as someone has already pointed out, uses “cancelletto”, a “little gate”.

In French, the ‘@’ is officially called ‘arobase’ or ‘arrobas’ (and other variations), but I prefer its other name: ‘escargot’, meaning ‘snail’. In Dutch, it’s ‘aapje’ (“little monkey”) or “apenstart”/“apenstaartje” (“monkey tail”/“little monkey tail”).

In English geek-speak, ‘!’ is most commonly ‘bang’, but sometimes it’s ‘shriek’. ‘?’ can be ‘query’, apparently as an alternative to the more long-winded ‘question mark’.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, “shebang” is actually pronounced like that where I come from.

Sheboygan?

4 Likes

In portuguese It is called arroba, which is equivalent to 14.7 kilos and is commonly used to define the weight of oxen and cows.

3 Likes

if someone had made me guess, i would have said it’s two ornithopters tied together

( grammar. grammar is the mind killer. the little death )

3 Likes

This is so lovely! Beats my Spanish gato.

1 Like

I called it Cplusplusplusplus for a while (which was the intended idea I understand: C++⁺⁺), until I heard the correct name.

2 Likes

In Italian @ is chiocciola which can be spiral (like a scala a chiocciola or spiral staircase) or snail shell guscio di chiocciola, or you might hear it called chiocciolina, for little snail…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.