“When you are done, press the octothorpe key”. What do you call the # glyph?

Originally published at: "When you are done, press the octothorpe key". What do you call the # glyph? | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The “gato” (cat) in Spanish, because it looks like the tic-tac-toe game which we call gato, and in English “hash” key.

Also, in Spanish, when calling an automated response system, the voice message might ask to press the “numeral” symbol.

13 Likes

I still mostly call it the pound sign, unless I’m talking specifically about hashtags.

14 Likes

Hash key, octothorpe is weird and pound is £

15 Likes

Oh, is that why a few people I’ve met call a draw at that a “cat’s game”? I always wondered where that came from.

7 Likes

It was the pound sign when I was growing up; at some point in the 21st century, it morphed into the ‘hashtag.’

9 Likes

‘#’ is hash.

Shift-3 is pound ‘£’.

Shift-1 is pling ‘!’

9 Likes

Octothorpe is one of my favorite weird words. Its 3rd on my list after syzygy and acnestis.

10 Likes

Called it a pound sign, because of the phone, for about 50 years. A lot of the voice menus still say say to “press pound”, for example, when leaving a voice message or entering an account number.

Then after several "OK, Boomer"s, I switched to hashtag.

7 Likes

It took them a year or two to add the pound key.
Left Profile-16

8 Likes

Also called a “bang” by typographers

16 Likes

We always knew it as the number sign, as in “World’s #1 Dad” or “The #1 Pontiac Dealer in the Tri-State Area”. I learned of its pound (US weight) meaning later in life. The “hash” meaning comes from programming, I think.

7 Likes

In my younger days, I called it the tic-tac-toe button. As in, “can we even dial a phone number that has the tic-tac-toe in it?” Or, “what if we prank call somebody* and just press down on the tic-tac-toe button?” “Hey they’ve** got an answering machine. Wait for the beep and just hold down tic-tac-toe.” Ah, the summer of '81, one of my favorites…

*This was years before Caller ID
**“They” = the portable terlet company, because it’s funny that someone would call a company to talk about portable terlets

2 Likes

Although, when you read it as “The Pound One Pontiac Dealer in the Tri-State Area” it actually makes more sense…

6 Likes

And geeks! ! is “bang,” ? is “huh,” * can be “star” or “snowflake” or “splat.”

Scripts beginning with #! are said to begin with a “sh-bang” (as in hash-bang.)

5 Likes

And by newspaper typesetters (in the UK at least) as a dog’s cock. Sorry.
The Spanish apparently call it the signo de admiración.

1 Like

In Italian we call it “cancelletto”, literally meaning “small gate”.
I find this name lovely and evocative: the word is colloquially used for any small pedestrian gates in hedges or fences.

Picture by Acabashi, CC BY-SA 4.0

10 Likes

Smushed spider button.

ETA: sorry @newbrain, I meant to do a general reply rather than a direct one.

2 Likes

In Japanese, it’s called “sharp” because it looks like the sheet music notation for sharp notes.

Incidentally, this symbol: ※ is called “kome (uncooked rice)” because it kind of looks like the kanji for uncooked rice: 米.

8 Likes

If anyone knows the origin of this poem, please share:

< > ! * ’ ’ #
^ " ` $ $ -
! * = @ $ _
% * < > ~ # 4
& . . /
| { , , SYSTEM HALTED

Translation:
Waka waka bang splat tick tick hash,
Caret quote back-tick dollar dollar dash,
Bang splat equal at dollar under-score,
Percent splat waka waka tilde number four,
Ampersand bracket bracket dot dot slash,
Vertical-bar curly-bracket comma comma CRASH!

16 Likes