When you use FaceApp, you give a Russian company "perpetual, irrevocable" rights to your photos

Yes, that’s referenced in the articles I posted. The app only accesses that data if you create an account. It can’t access your data without an account, nor your photos. The privacy policy applies to registered users, not people who just download it to play with it. Privacy experts have tested it and have verified that that seems to be the case.

But, as always, paranoia is likely safer than not being paranoid, especially where Russia is concerned.

2 Likes

Why is this app needed? If you want to know how you will look when you’re older, you have a couple options: take a look at grandma and grandpa, or just wait a while and look in the mirror!

2 Likes

At your own risk:

3 Likes

3 Likes

I’m just back from the future to tell you, no. No, you don’t.

4 Likes

Yes. I’m not sure I get the outrage over the copyright license. This is a Russian company. If they want your images they can just steal the ones you post on line, and what is anybody going to do about it? The worry about copyright of photos is the least important security risk. The more important risk is putting an app by a Russian developer on your phone that does who knows what else. But even that worry is over loan because most of us have no idea who makes most of our apps or what country their beneficial owner resides in. So I think we need to consider security in general rather than get all worked up over this app in particular.

2 Likes

We’ll have willingly dumped so much data just to spawn this composite likeness of everyone’s face on the planet that will speak every language on Duolingo in some virtual dreamscape, just so it can ask us to Like and Subscribe and Buy Now.

Isn’t that basically the same user agreement as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Prisma, Facetune, AirBrush, Face Swap, VSCO, Snapseed, etc…?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you can’t see the ass for all the hair. Perhaps that’s just what I’ve observed.

Mister44 used FaceApp, and 10 minutes later, his face was being splashed all over magazine covers! Who knows what secrets lurk in the hearts of Apps?

2 Likes

I don’t need an app to know what I’m going to look like when I get older. I can see that every morning when I get up and look in the bathroom mirror. Man, I need some softer lighting in there…

1 Like

thanks! very helpful!

1 Like

Perpetual licenses aren’t exclusive. You can do that, it won’t have any effect and they won’t fight about it.

That isn’t accurate. Whether or not a perpetual license is exclusive or not depends on whether or not the license agreement says exclusive or not. The two are independent variables.

Sorry, I messed up. I should have said “necessarily exclusive.” They can be.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.