When your mom works a phone sex chat line

[Read the post]

“The rule of thumb in the adult industry is that if you aren’t making at least $100,000 in a year then you’re wasting your time,” she told me. She pays her employees around 60 percent of the per minute call charge-more than double what they’d expect to earn working for a big company.

Is the implication here that the average phone sex worker makes more than $100,000? Or as an owner of an “adult industry” company you should make that much? Because if answering the phone for 8 hours a day makes you only $80,000 a year and that’s deemed “wasting your time” I’m not buying it at all. Smacks of “make $5000.00 a week in your own home!” spam hype.

4 Likes

Abby Moss of Broadly talked to her mother what it was like to be a well-paid phone sex worker…

This would read so differently if Abby had been a man. (Also if the grammar.)

1 Like

Not sure why it’s so “shocking” that older women would be better at this than younger. Despite the hype, I think a lot of young women are pretty conservative and inexperienced.

13 Likes
Silly putty is good for general squelching, and wet flannels dropped into the toilet apparently sound exactly like massive shits.

The phone-sex industry appears to be quite different than I imagined.

9 Likes

Yeah, it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that older women are better than younger at phone sex.

What surprises me more is that a) phone sex lines still exist; and b) you can make $100k a year as a phone sex operator. Damn.

5 Likes

It’s good money because it’s a hand job to put on your resume and if you’re discovered to have done it later in as, say, a teacher-you’re going to get shit on for it.

The general stigma around sex is a big part of what makes it lucrative.

6 Likes

Foley Sex Industry.

10 Likes

Excellent typo, sir.

18 Likes

From doing a little googling, most seem to make $20.00 to $60.00 an hour if they work for a company, with not much if anything in the way of benefits.

If they run their own business, they can make more (just how much more–hard to tell–I’ve read at least one saying $1000.00 in one day is possible though that seems far from the norm).

Working on your own you have to contend with scammers using fake/stolen credit cards, and doing your own marketing, and general business stuff. I’m still not buying anything $100,000 a year numbers for a single phone sex operator as anything close to the norm.

2 Likes

Oy…

2 Likes

My mum?

Well, that would be an awkward conversation…

2 Likes

My mum?

Well, that would be an awkward conversation…

Especially if she refused to give you a discount from her normal rate.

8 Likes

This is generally the case at most sex lines, which use a cursory
application process in writing or on the phone that doesn’t go much further than checking the operators speak good English.

good English

apparently, the Vice group doesn’t even go that far.

1 Like

“Miriam, why is this stack of applications so sticky?”

4 Likes

I certainly make nowhere near that giving hand jobs 'round the back of my local Burger King, even before the cut I give to the BK manager for letting me use the space.

1 Like

God’s work, people. God’s work.

Seriously, I think every phone sex operator has probably kept at least one person teetering on the edge from flipping out and killing everyone one on the subway.

Also, excellent choice for the phone in the pic.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.