Where are all the time travelers?

Somehow, I would expect that if you have the technology to bend time, bending space would be child’s play.

4 Likes

Seriously? If there were time travel available, most of us would leave, let alone come here on purpose.

1 Like
2 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes

I like this one on time travel, too:

http://www.viruscomix.com/page583.html

It posits that time travel doesn’t have to be a physical thing, but can be a sort of… projection thing?

5 Likes

Where are all the time travelers?

They’re in Vegas, gluing little hats onto pigeons. It’s all going to make sense sometime next year.

22 Likes

that was so great. thanks for pointing to it

3 Likes

You should most certainly read all of them, as there are some real gems in there.

2 Likes

I’m time traveling right then.

16 Likes

Interesting take on “where are they.” As soon as the machine is turned on, the current timeline not only ceases to exist, but never was.

4 Likes
2 Likes

It’s a coup…

2 Likes

That’s the same link - which, fair play, did feel like a time-travel gag. :grin:

3 Likes

That’s weird? Trying again?

http://www.viruscomix.com/page585.html

Or from this wiki link perhaps?

4 Likes

The Secret Service is heading there even as I type this, but they’ll be too late. The pigeons all flew the coup at the first sign of trouble.

2 Likes

They are all 3-dimensional projections of higher dimensional beings experimenting on us!

3 Likes

It truly saddens me how so few people understand the real issue with time travel. The problem is that you need both a SENDING machine and a RECEIVING machine. You can’t just send somebody off without knowing where they are going and what is at the destination.

Thus, there will be no time travel until that receiving machine is built. And once it is built, you will only be able to send people back to the day that that receiving machine came on line. And going into the past will always be dangerous because there can never be a guarantee that the machine is empty and turned on. Going into the future would be slightly safer because just like in Back to the Future, you can use Western Union to send them a message about your arrival.

I am reminded of this passage (SPOILER ALERT) from Neal Stephenson’s novel Anathem:

“I see,” said Paphlagon, “so Laterre constructed such a ship and—”

“No! We never did!”

“Just as Arbre never did—even though we had the same ideas!” Lio put in.

“But on Urnud it was different,” said Jules Verne Durand. “They had geometrodynamics. They had the rotating-universe solution. They had cosmographic evidence that their cosmos did in fact rotate. And they had the idea for the atomic ship. But they actually built several of them. They were driven to such measures because of a terrible war between two blocs of nations. The combat infected space; the whole solar system became a theatre of war. The last and largest of these ships was called Daban Urnud, which means ‘Second Urnud.’ It was designed to send a colony to a neighboring star system, only a quarter of a light-year away. But there was a mutiny and a change of command. It fell under the control of ones who understood the theorics that I spoke of. They chose to steer a different course: one that was intended to take them into the past of Urnud, where they hoped that they could undo the decisions that had led to the outbreak of the war. But when they reached the end of that journey, they found themselves, not in the past of Urnud, but in an altogether different cosmos, orbiting an Urnud-like planet—”

“Tro,” said Arsibalt.

“Yes. This is how the universe protects herself—prevents violations of causality. If you attempt to do anything that would give you the power of violating the laws of cause-and-effect—to go back in time and kill your grandfather—”

“You simply find yourself in a different and separate causal domain? How extraordinary!” said Lodoghir.

The Laterran nodded. “One is shunted into an altogether different Narrative,” he said, with a glance at Fraa Jad, “and thus causality is preserved.”

http://gnomonchronicles.com/wiki/Excerpts_from_Anathem_(nonfiction)

3 Likes

I’ve thought that time travel – if it ever became available – wouldn’t involve actual physical traveling; just opening windows into the past, or a VR type of experience. Future folk could be looking at you right now.

But this is fun too.

So…

He’s been busy.

4 Likes