Where that Crazy Cartoon Music Comes From

There should have been a Huell Howser trigger warning ahead of that 2nd clip.

2 Likes

the inside of my skull.

2 Likes

Hate to break it to you guys but he’s not doing anything but miming.
Look closer.

ummm… Techno is 20th century. You young whippersnapper. How about “this is the 1920’s version of a Moog synth keyboard” ? :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

No bagpipe pedals? What if the cartoon took place in Scotland?

4 Likes

The bagpipe pedals are right next to the sheep pedal

4 Likes

That’s amazing. This exact suite of sounds is really familiar from a childhood of watching old cartoons - obviously with the introduction of talkies, they continued to use these instruments to record the soundtracks for cartoons and comedies for a while. Even after they stopped using the specific instrument, it influenced the sounds people continued to recreate for cartoons up to the present day.

4 Likes

Now to expand on the subject…a question my grandmother used to mull over. How do they get the animals to do such mean things to each other?

3 Likes

They’re anthropomorphic, meaning they combine the worst aspects of animal behavior with the worst aspects of human behavior.

4 Likes

True. Herc invented playing breaks and bringing them back, which would be more analogous to the Fotoplayer, especially because Herc’s system had no pre-cue. Flash was first to make seamless loops after getting disco DJ Pete Jones to demonstrate the pre-cueing on his rig that allowed Jones to get perfect mixes. I’m arguing semantics I guess. I got excited. Herc was first. But I like looping breaks, so I do tend to give Flash more credit, rightly or wrongly.

3 Likes

6 Likes

They’re just actors in animal suits.

1 Like

That’s what the extra “te” is for.

1 Like

This would make an interested indie game I think. Get some public domain silent movies and you have to play the music and sound effects while it shows. You can either do the music, the sound effects or both.

3 Likes

From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I have been trying to find the name of this song for YEARS. Melody stuck forever in my head from countless hours of childhood cartoon viewing.
You have saved my brain.

2 Likes

I’ve always loved classical keyboard music…

…and then animated.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.